1. Turn off your computer (you can do this by holding down the power button).
2. Making sure the monitor cable is plugged into the computer, turn the computer back on.
3. If there is something other than the error message on screen, begin tapping the F8 key on the keyboard as soon as the computer turns on.
3b. If nothing (other than the error) is shown on the screen after restarting, you must obtain another monitor and follow these steps from the beginning on that screen.
4. After less than a minute, you should get a menu like this
5. Select "Safe Mode"
7. Once at the Windows desktop, right click on the background, and select properties.
8. Select the "Settings" tab, and move the resolution slider all the way to the left.
9. Restart normally, and once in regular Windows, repeat steps 7 and 8, selecting the resolution of your choice.