I can understand your issue. When you say "enter USB2.0 MSD mode"
getting into recovery mode. Then i'd say firmware needs to be updated..
Please follow the steps..
There are files in the player that might be corrupted causing the device to freeze and stop responding.
SOLUTION 1 - Reset the device.
1. Press and hold the Power/Menu button for approximately 20 seconds.
2. Release the Power/Menu button.
3. Press the Power/Menu button again to turn on the player.
NOTE: Resetting will turn the player off while it is frozen.
SOLUTION 2 - Force MSC or Recovery mode then update to the latest firmware.
STEP 1 - Force MSC or go to Recovery mode
For e200v1/e200R (Recovery
mode only): Connecting in Recovery mode
1. On your Sansa player, press and hold the Power/Menu button for 15 seconds to turn the device completely off.
2. Slide the Hold switch so the orange portion shows.
3. On your PC, double-click My Computer
4. On your Sansa player, press and hold the REC button while connecting it to the PC.
5. Release the REC button when a 16MB-FORMAT drive partition appears under My Computer.
For e200v2 (Force MSC mode only): Enabling MSC mode
1. Turn device OFF.
2. Slide the hold switch to the direction of the headphone jack so an orange color would show putting the device on Hold.
3. Press and hold the ( |<< ) button while connecting the device to the PC.
STEP 2 - Update to the latest
firmware manually, as it is described in Method 2 http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/306/kw/e200/r_id/101834
In case you have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us!