- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
"How do I clear the message Unable to..." ( "Unable to Change" "Unable to Clean" "Unable to Init" "Unable to Print" "Unable to Scan" )? Step1: To clear the message follow the steps listed below:
1. Check for foreign objects, such as a paper clip or scrap of paper, inside the machine.Unplug the machine from the power outlet and open the scanner cover by pulling up on the lower right corner of the cover. Look inside the machine and remove any foreign objects. If you see jammed paper or another item inside this area, gently pull it out and then close the scanner cover securely. 2.If the error continues to appear, the machine may have a mechanical problem.If the error message continues to appear, the machine will need to be reset. Resetting the machine will erase all faxes in memory and the Fax Journal Report. Please make sure you have followed the instructions in the Step1. 3.If the error still continues to appear, move the print head and examine under the print head. 3-1.Disconnect the Brother machine from the poweroutlet. 3-2.Open the scanner cover by pulling up on the lower right corner of the cover. 3-3.Check the print head's position. 3-4.Gently move the print head to the center. 3-5.Examine under the print head. If anything is found, remove it.Use a flashlight if necessary to check thoroughly. 3-6.Close the cover and reconnect the machine to the power outlet. If the message continues to appear on the LCD, the machine will require repair.
Step2: Check if the machine has faxes in its memory
1.Transfer the Fax Journal Report
1.Press Menu/Set or Menu on the Control Panel of the machine. 2.Press the up or down navigation key until Service appears on the LCD. Then press Menu/Set or Menu. 3.Press the up or down navigation key until Data Transfer appears on the LCD. Then press Menu/Set or Menu. 4.Press the up or down navigation key until Report Trans appears on the LCD. Then press Menu/Set or Menu. 5.The LCD will prompt you to enter a fax number. Enter the number of the fax that you want to receive and print the report. Press Black(Mono) Start.
2.Verify and Transfer faxes in memory
1.Press Menu/Set or Menu on the Control Panel of the machine. 2.Press the up or down navigation key until Service appears on the LCD. Then press Menu/Set or Menu. 3.Press the up or down navigation key until Data Transfer appears on the LCD. Then press Menu/Set or Menu. 4.Press the up or down navigation key until Fax Transfer appears on the LCD. Then press Menu/Set or Menu. 5.If there are no faxes saved in memory, NO DATA will appear on the LCD. Continue to Step 3. If faxes are present, the LCD will prompt you to enter a fax number. Enter the number of the fax that you want to receive and print the faxes. Press Black(Mono) Start .
3.Reset the machine After the Fax Journal Report and faxes in memory have been transferred to another fax machine, disconnect the Brother machine from the power source for several minutes and then reconnect it.
Connect the printer directly to the wall outlet and
1. Verify that the unit is switched on. Unplug the all-in-one from power and disconnect the connection port.
2. Wait 30 seconds.
3. Plug in the power only.
4. Repeat steps 2-4 two more times.
5. On the third time after plugging the unit into power, reconnect the connection port from the all-in-one to your computer.
1. Unplug the power cable from printer when the printer is powered on.
2. Press and hold # and 6 while plugging in the power cord
You can try the following reset - it will most of the settings back to the default options. Unplug power cord to the machine. Press and hold down Menu. Plug power cord back in. Let go if menu when fax/scan/copy flash. You may see either "maintenance" or "machine error xx" on the screen. Type stop/exit, 9, 1. The machine should show "param init" or similar to show that the reset is being done. It will then go back to or machine error. Type stop/exit, 9, 9. This should take the machine out of maintenance mode and back to normal. If the error is still present the machine will require an engineer to resolve the issue.