The microwave was in use while the stove top below was being used and sending heavy steam onto the microwave control panel. The wife heard popping and then saw blue sparks shoot out below the control panel. No smell, flame or smoke after the event. The control panel still works fine but the microwave doesn't heat and there is a new buzzing present while trying to heat. I removed the control panel to inspect the electronics for obvious burning. The only thing I could see is the HV transformer looks to have small burn marks on the outside of the transformer body. I would like to replace the transformer but don't want to waste money if this is terminal.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: Microwave with load buzz and not heating.
With the symptoms you
have, I would most strongly suspect a shorted high voltage rectifier
diode or a bad magnetron.
It may be a problem with the transformer, but I suspect that less.
The diode is a fairly
cheap fix, and the mag will cost more. The transformer may be pretty steep. But it's best to take it a step at a time.
If you or someone you
decide to look into it, we have critical safety information and
disassembly information at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa.
should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit
control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is
very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.
If you don't find yours, or if you want to look at it without disassembling the oven, you can download it here.
Here are some links you
or someone you know can use for test help, but read their safety
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Over-the-range microwaves have lights and fans in them mostly for show. They protect the microwave from heat rising from the stove and provide a light to illuminate the stove top. The fan assembly is far too small to generate any real pull or draft and if it did, it would only blow it back in your face since these models do not exhaust to the outside; they only exhaust out the front of the microwave. A few models have a "filter screen" that is supposedly there to catch grease and contaminates but really it only serves to further weaken the draft as it provides a resistance to air flow.
Most over the range microwaves have a heat safety system built into them. If for instance you are cooking on the stove top for a long period of time on the burner directly under the micro control panel and the control panel get too hot, a thermostat in the microwave will automatically turn on the vent fan to help keep the control panel cooled off. My guess is that the safety thermostat (usually right behind the bottom of the control panel) may be going bad and needs replaced.
Was it just the exhaust fan that came on? If so this is normal when cooking on the stove for long period of time without the fan running. The heat builds up under the microwave and eventually activates the fan.
Okay, first we need to separate the situations. You were boiling water on the stove and had the range hood fan running to **** up the steam. Then you put something in the microwave to heat and you heard a pop and then zip-o.
The water on the stove has nothing to do with the situation, the fan you turn on is not part of the microwave, so it has nothing to do with the microwave.
The pop you heard and then the humming suggests the magnetron failed. You said you found a blow fuse and replaced it and still nothing, right? The magnetron is the most likely culprit...I would think it is safe to say that the magnetron shorted and drew enough current to blow the fuse.
Replace the magnetron and if that doesn't work, let me know here. Good Luck!
most likely the power supply in the microwave is gone. the microwave die probably it is over the oven. heat from the stove cause the microwave to heat up and cold off more than it is on the counter.
counter microwave has fan and air slot in the rear. it keep the motor and microwave cool, and there nothing else to keep it hot. but the over the oven, the only ventalation is from the top. and with the added heat from the stove top and oven.
I would take out the grills and boil them, but cannot see how to do that.
Also, the GE stove top (Model JGSP44BEY) has so much baked on crud that I may never use it. I poured a whole bottle of easy off onto it and still cannot loosen it all. Same goes for the removable parts from the burners.
Are you using a 3 pronged outlet and is it grounded? If you have a 2 holed outlet and are using a ground eliminator adapter, try turning the plug around to reverse the polarity. If this helps, then it would be advisable to have an electrician to ground your oven.