My brother mfc 5840cn won't install on my new laptop which has windows 7 my old laptop was xp
Brother has not released a printer driver specifically for Windows 7 and this model. You can however use a basic printer driver if the Windows Update feature of your operating system is set to "automatic:"
To set Windows Update to automatic, perform the following: (if you know it already is set to automatic, you may skip these steps)
1) Click "Windows Icon" (Start button) on taskbar
2) From the "Search Programs and Files" box type "change device installation" and start search
3) Click "Change device installation settings" - the Device Installation Settings window opens
4) If it is not already selected, select "Yes, do this automatically (recommended)"
5) Click "Save changes"
Now you are ready to have Windows search for and install the generic printer driver for your model. Your computer must be connected to the internet in order to complete this installation.
Note: If you have previously connected the USB cable, disconnect it from the computer and printer for now.
1) Power on your printer
2) Now connect the USB cable to the back of the printer, then to a USB port on the back of your computer (not to a USB hub or keyboard port)
3) Windows should now automatically search for and install the latest driver for your printer.
4) The "Your devices are ready to use" message may come up on your screen upon completion. You may have to click "Close [X]" to close this window.
You should now have a basic driver installed for your model of printer.
Jan 22, 2010 |
Brother MFC-5840CN All-In-One InkJet...