How to configure wireless internet connection in windows xp
You need to set up the router first and know the name of the router: Also called The SSID.
Example: FIXYA'S ROUTER is a name for a router written by the router's owner and not the manufacturer. NEVER leave the default name (example: lynksys, Netgear, etc) because then everyone would get into your private wirless connection.
Once you set up the secuirty and name (SSID), turn on your laptop.
1) open contol panel and open NETWORK CONNECTIONS
2) right click on the wireless network connection icon
3) using the drop down menu from right clicking, click on PROPERTIES
A window called WIRELSS NTWORK CONNECTION PROPBERTIES will come oup
4) On the top Tabs ( labeled "General, Wireless Networks, and Advance) click on WIRELESS NETWORKS.
5) CLICK on the big button called VIEW WIRELESS NETWORKS
A new window will come up called WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION
A list of other wireless routers should show up under the words CHOOSE A WIRELESS NETWORK
6) Rememeber the name you typed out for your router in the begining? LOOK AND CLICK ON the name you gave your router (eg: Fixya Router)
If you set a pasword or Wep key for connecting to your router type it in after you click and press ok. If you ddnt set a password or wep key, just click on the nam o router and click ok
You should then see if you could get on the web by opening your intenet explorer. If you followed the instructions well, you will be able to get on the internet.
PLEASE SAVE YOUR SSID (OR ROUTER NAME ) AND PASWORD OR WEP KEY IN A SAFE BUT OBTAINABLE PLACE.
Hope this helps :)
Mar 15, 2010 |
Acer PC Desktops