Last week we found some ceramic bits on the bottom of the microwave and the antenae now seems exposed & arcs when the microwave power is switched on. Is this just a cover for the microwave antenae and what's it called?
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
There is exposed metal, when magnetron is running it will arc if there is exposed metal in the interior cavity which is more common, I have not seen this inside microwave door, inspect door carefully when you open it to see if there are bare spots. The manufacture use to sell microwave cavity paint to prevent this very problem, if this is not corrected it will short out the magnetron.
It is quite possible the magnetron has burned out, when it arcs it puts a tremendous strain and causes it to overheat very quickly. On top of that you found a burned mark behind the pad which is not good, so there are least two problems that must be addressed perhaps more. In any case it may be cheaper to replace the microwave oven at this point.
you may have exposed metal in the microwave so it arcs. You will need to cover the exposed metal with ceramic paint. Just sand the area down so its smooth, then apply ceramic paint. that should solve your problem.
remove the outer cover and the fuse is either on top or on the side in a fuse holder clip,it takes a special "ceramic-fuse" available at hardware stores, if it blows again.suspect a h.v. capacitor,diode,magnetron, or exposed wire arcing
The bulb is positioned at the top of the oven, accessible only from the outside.
You'll need to pull off the top and bottom trim strips, remove the bottom trim strip locators, remove 2 fixing screws from the left edge of the oven (with door open), and the 2 fixing screws from behind the top trim strip.
The oven should then just slide out.
You only need to pull it out 6 inches or so to gain access to the bulb cover.
You'll need a T20 driver to remove the cover, then the bulb unscrews as it has an SES fitting.
Sometimes the arcing itself will cause black marks inside the oven. The places where the foil was melted, (touching), likely left small metal deposits, possibly now, impregnated in the surface. It is important to remove these if possible to avoid further arcing. Remove these then test to make sure the oven is functioning properly. If so, continue to use.
It would seem there is a bad connection in the fuse holder or in the wall socket or in the microwave itself.
Maybe you can narrow it down to the microwave by trying other devices in the wall socket.
If it's the microwave, it's time to call for serivce.