Question about Samsung MW5350W Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I've had a fire

A paper towel (which I found out later was a recycled paper towel) caught fire in my microwave and now I have orange staining on the inside and on the back of the microwave. What damage should I be looking for and how can I get rid of the chain smoker smell from this microwave?

Posted by on

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 944 Answers

Best way to remove the smell is to get an activated charcoal cooker hood filter (cheap and available at any hardware store) and leave it scrunched up in the microwave for a couple of days with the door shut.(also a bowl of fresh cat litter works if it is the "fuller's earth" type without extra super-scented-power-globules etc..) If you are competent enough to take the cover off (make sure you know what you are doing or get a repair man to do it) then clean all round the extractor fan blades and where the air is ducted - there may be some soot that smells in this area. If there are no obvious holes in the interior as a result of the fire then if the machine seems to work normally there is probably no problem. the only way i know to remove this type of stain is with a (plastic scotchbrite type) scourer with some neat bleach (wear gloves) or some "cif/jif" type scouring cream. if a bit of effort with one of these doesn't do the job then you are probably best to live with the stains - make sure you clean all the cleaning products off properly before cooking in the machine again. If none of this works then try microwaving some sugar until it burns (watch it and stop it the moment it catches fire if it does). Sometimes this can remove burning smells even if this sounds very stupid it can work. last resort anyway. Hope this helps :)

Posted on Mar 09, 2007

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

2 slices of bread wrapped in paper towel microwave set on defrost set 35 seconds caught fire


Microwaves work by friction. They blast water molecules in the food so they move fast, just like rubbing your hands together makes them hot. Some types of microwave in defrost mode actually apply FULL POWER for a short period of time so to make the product warm to the touch. This heat then penetrates down to the core of the food, ensuring full defrost. In your case the heat was sufficient enough to heat the dry paper towel to set it on fire.
Bread is better defrosted on the low power setting as sliced bread is very thin. Items should only be defrosted on the defrost setting that are thick and need to be completely defrosted on the inside. Remember microwaves only penetrate the surface of food, making that hot. Thermal conduction does the rest.
You should never use paper towels in a microwave unless the instructions for doing the food say so. You wouldn't put a paper towel in a gas or electric oven, so don't put them in a microwave.

Feb 18, 2016 | In Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

There is arcing in microwave when no alum or metal is inside


Other material, e.g., recycled paper towels containing bits of metal can cause arcing.

Feb 23, 2015 | In Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

A paper towel caught fire in my GE Microwave, now it has no power.


Since the inside of the microwave caught fire, the main fuse has blown, there is probably damage to the magnetron "heats food" the interior has been burned, which will bring safety isses into play. I recommend a professional assess the situation on the grounds of cost and safety.

Mar 09, 2012 | GE SpaceMaker Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Purchased the Maytag MMV3180 (SS) microwave last week. It doesn't matter what I cook, when cooking is finished there is moisture inside the oven. The door is steamed up, and water is dripping off the...


I would say quite normal. Ensure that the door is left open for a while when you have finished, that will allow the moisture to disperse.
I cut down alot on the steam by using kitchen paper towel over the food. The towel gets wet instead!
Don't use recycled paper towel unless it states suitable for microwave use as there may be plastics and metals in those.

Mar 06, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Sweet potatoe caught fire in my microwve


the magnatron super heated the paper combined with what we in the industry call super combust your micro should be ok to use just keep it clean and if you use toweling wraP it around rather than cover

Apr 21, 2010 | Amana ACO1860 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I just put two frozen hot dog buns wrapped in paper towels in the microwave for 30 sec. After 15, I noticed they were on fire! HOW and WHY? Is it the end of my Frigidaire Microwave?


If the cooking cavity wasn't damaged by the fire then the oven is still okay. The reason for the fire is that water absorbs microwaves very readily. The buns, being frozen, wet the towels as they thawed. Then the towels boiled dry and ignited from the heat. Most microwave oven owner's manuals warn against drying items in the oven for this reason.

Mar 15, 2010 | Frigidaire PLMV169DC Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Paper caught fire in microwave. microwave power


check breaker in your home electrical panel...make sure all are on

Nov 08, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

2 Answers

I tried poping some popcorn in a brown paper bag and it caught on fire. I tried to the microwave again after i put the fire out and cleaned the mess up but nothing is working at all. No breakers were...


all microwaves have flame sensors that will cut the power in case of fire, this sensor will most likely have to be replaced. this will require you to drop the m/w and remove the case.

Jun 16, 2009 | Maytag MMV4205 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Roper microwave caught a paper towel on fire.


Why is this even a question?

Of course a paper towel can get hot enough to catch fire in a microwave. In addition, anything not specifically identified as microwave safe can melt, deform, crack, chip, spark, catch fire, explode, etc...
This is not a microwave problem.

Mar 01, 2018 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Panasonic nn-t754. A paper plate caught fire and a ceramic plate broke it two while in the microwave for about 45 seconds.


Was the ceramic plate part of the microwave or a plate form the kitchen?

If it wasn't the microwave plate, it should be fine. You should be able to be sure it's all clean and use it as usual.

A microwave oven should of course never be left running unattended, especially when using any paper products.

Paper plates and paper towels can sometimes have small amounts of impurities which can ignite.

This is covered on page 1 in your owner's manual, which can be downloaded here.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Aug 07, 2008 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

366 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Samsung Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9098 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers

Oscar Netto
Oscar Netto

Level 2 Expert

110 Answers

Are you a Samsung Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...