Question about Lexmark X6170 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Re-position the Encoder Strip on your all in one Printer
To re-position the encoder strip, perform the following steps:
1. Remove the power cord from the unit.
2. Lift the lid of the unit, just below the scanner portion of the All-In-One, to expose the inside of the unit where the printer cartridges are located.
3. Gently slide the ink cartridge carrier to the middle of the printer.
4. Gently move the top part of the printer belt to the right.
5. Using an index finger, gently push encoder strip down and then back up to get it back into the slot located on the back of the ink cartridge carrier.
NOTE: There is a small slot that the encoder strip fits into, which is going to be located on the back of the ink cartridge carrier.
6. Gently press the strip first to the rear and then forward to ensure that it is seated correctly.
7. Manually move the ink cartridge carrier to the left, then to the right to check the positioning of the encoder strip.
8. Once the encoder strip has been re-seated, close the lid to the unit.
9. Re-connect the power supply to the All-In-One.
10. Press the Power button. If the encoder strip was re-seated correctly, the Hardware Error: 502 code will not appear.
See attached pictures, one for an out or place encoder strip, the other for a well placed strip.
Other faults that can bring up this error is a carriage rail that needs cleaning and oiling (so you might want to do that while your inside the thing), and also obstructions to the paper ways. Try removing paper jams, and put the printer upside down to shake loose anything that might jam the mechanism.
Posted on Dec 12, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 24, 2010 | Lexmark X5150 All-In-One InkJet Printer
May 24, 2010 | Dell A940 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Jul 12, 2009 | Lexmark X5150 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Apr 07, 2009 | Lexmark X6170 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Mar 22, 2009 | Lexmark X6170 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Nov 24, 2008 | Lexmark (09A1501) for Optra T Series...
Mar 04, 2008 | Lexmark X5150 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Jan 07, 2008 | Lexmark X5250 All-In-One InkJet Printer
121 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!