I have a ritetemp fireplace heater, after I light the pilot it burns and stays on, but as soon as I turn on the gas control knob I get good flame for about 2 min then every thing shuts off even the pilot whats wrong
It is a small tube at the end of a thin copper line.
It typically mounts in front of your pilot flame. The copper line runs back to you control.
When heated by the pilot it tells the control valve that there is a fire thus allowing the gas to flow to the burner. It is a safety feature to keep you from filling you house up with unburned gas.
When not functioning correctly it stops the gas to the burner. You should be able to pick up a replacement at any big box or hardware store. Some have different mounting styles. Best to remove the old one and take it with you.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Most fire place burners have an oxygen depletion sensor on them nowadays. If you can restart it after a while, a few minutes or so, and shuts off, it is probably the oxygen sensor. The owner lights fireplace and shuts the door, and the fire depletes the available oxygen and the fire will start producing copious amounts of CO which is a hazard. Most fireplaces have a fresh air supply available to provide combustion air but needs to be opened for the fireplace to work properly. Check the manufactures recommendation as to the proper installation of the fireplace furnace.
Hope this helps
the pilot light always stays on, its designed to allow your heater to turn on by itself without you needing to light a match every time. if the pilot light is burning you have nothing to worry about. its when the pilot light goes out that a small amount of gas leaks into the room. and by small i mean smaller than a hand held lighter... if you still want to shut the entire thing down you could turn off the gas line feeding the heater or possibly the whole house, otherwise the pilot light will stay on. as far as the actual heater turning off, thats probably controlled by some sort of thermostat somewhere. if you set the temp to very cold it should stay off. if that doesn't work then you may need a new thermostat.
The yhernocoupler would snuff the pilot if bad. What ignites the overhead burners? and what regulates the overhead gas supply? Look into this. Too much gas will not light as easily as proper balance gas and air. Even more so in a tower type heater.. Turn the gas on low and the pilot should grab it. Good luck