I pulled this from the HP boards from Charlie Bravo
I tried it and it worked for me. (this is a network setup.)
MY FIX (Windows XP):
After trying numerous things, here is what I resolved:
1) Problem: when trying to scan using my 2820 Color Laserjet using "Solution Center", I got the dreaded, yet common error: "An error communicating with the scanning device. Please ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try again"
My device: HP LJ2820 Color Laserjet
2) The printer worked fine when printing to it and also, scanned fine when using the Windows Wizard (Start/All Programs/Accessories/Scanner and Camera Wizard
3) Hewlett-Packard Support was less than worthless since they used my time and provided no useful information. Their ineptitude is legendary as we all know... To add insult to the injury, the rep wanted to charge me $25 for the "incident" which happens to be to not only identify teir bugs but also to report and fix them as an unwitting test site. Arrogant of them to say the least !
4) SOLUTION: Added an entry in the HOSTS and lmhosts file (this file is located in WINNT/SYSTEM2/DRIVERS/ETC ):
192.168.1.1 HP Color Laserjet
The 192... etc is the default gateway for my printer (look in toolbox and get the network report for yours, my printer is connected using the network, wired to a Linksys router)
Dont's bother with "reinstalling", "de-installing", etc. the problem is related to addressing and not corrupted drivers. It's simply a HP bug, nothing else.
5) Ran the "patch" col10862.exe from the hp site, listed under an unrelated problem to an unrelated printer. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&softwareitem=sj-32245-2&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
6) Now I can can use the the scanner I paid for...
7) Time to resolve the issue: 2 minutes. time to find the resolution to the issue: 4 hours.