Printer not recognized by XP Says needs the software
My wife has a 1700 lazer printer and she just got a new dell laptop.
It wont recognise the drivers we downloaded saying that it needs the software and in the dropdown list of printers in xp, it doesnt show it listed. How do I nstall it without the software or can I get the software for it.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: Printer not recognized by XP Says needs the software
Hi,I would suggest you to first trying unplugging/ switching off your device for 5 minutes. This restores and refreshes the device. Go for it Let me know if this works, if it doesn’t then I’ll provide some other alternative solution. Thanks
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
You can download the drivers for your printer from this link;
Dell 1700 Laser Printer drivers for windows xp
Open the link, click the blue "Download" button, another new pop window will come up, again click the first "Download" button.
1. check if any other usb port is working or not. 2. check if you can print through the printer or not.
3. try to reinstall the drivers from support.dell.com, select your printer model and then download the drivers for your printer. 4. if again its giving the communication failure, then the integrated circut which suport the communication from printer to computer is dead. 5. contact a local technican who can fix this 6. more economical, get another printer AIO. 7. also, check if any other USb device is getting recognised or not 8. if yes, then the problem is the printer IC. 9. if no. then we need to install the drivers for the computer chipset. 10. go to the computer manufacturer's website select your computer and thengo to drivers and download the drivers for your computer chipset.
11. if that doesnot fix you need to reinstall the operating system.
12. post another question selecting your computer model if this happens
You may have a 'recalled printer' Check out this link! http://support.dell.com/support/batteryrecall/index.aspx/en/main
1700/1700n Printer RecallIn
cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Dell is
voluntarily providing the Customers who purchased the 1700/1700n printer
(from June 8th, 2004 - August 18th, 2004) a free replacement printer.
[Announced September 7, 2004]
The appropriate printer drivers are bundled with XP. With the printer connected to the computer and powered on, the system should automatically recognize the printer and install the correct drivers if it is connected via USB. If it is connected to the parallel port, go to Control Panel -> Printers, select Add New Printer and follow the on-screen prompts.
Almost the exact same problem. New 4350d Canon printer trying to connect it with Dell 8300 with XP. The computer says it does not recognize. Tried everything - reinstall drivers, download drivers, tried every USB port, swapped cables, spoke with Canon support and finally took the printer back and got a new one (Canon support person decided the USB board must be bad). New machine - same old problem.
How did you install the printer?
I have found that if you just let your computer recognise new hardware, it really has a hard time with the USB printing to the 1700's.
Originally there was a disk that came with the 1700 printer. You do want to use that.
During the install, you run the software, and then turn on the printer. (You can have the printer on during the install, but ignore the Windows Wizards that come up).
If you don't have the original 1700 install disk, you can download it from Dell.
The problem is with USB port configuration. These little 1700's are just a pain sometimes if not installed the way they were originally designed.