Hi, we have had our microwave for about 2 years and every once in a while it would come on by itself during the day. Last night I heard it running at 4 am and when I got to it it had been running a really long time because it was smelling extremely hot. Any suggestions. We are afraid to leave it plugged in now. Thanks
Unfortunately our household also has the Magic Chef fairy. Our microwave, Model# MCO160uw has been installed for maybe 5 months. It's turning itself on randomly. I have decided because of a potential fire hazard to unplug it. We have to stand on a chair to plug it in when we need it. What a hassle. Help!
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
You might try pulling the plug on the unit and leaving it overnight. The electronics may have locked up due to irregular voltage during the failure.
There may also be a GFI (ground fault interrupter) on that circuit that has tripped for the same reason.
Check the kitchen outlets for a tripped GFI.
There is a small thermodisc temperature protector in the top of most MWO that cuts off power when over temp was reached or maybe fails all by itself. I replaced two last year with resettable type but getting to them is a large job all by itself. RE: removing the top cover
More common then you think, i have gone through a couple microwaves in the last ten years, they both failed very similar to what you describe. One popped the breaker one day, reset the breaker and it worked again but had an odd smell to it. I took it apart and couldn't find anything burnt or melted so i tossed it and got a new one, i didn't want a microwave burning the house down! I would suggest unless your really tied to that microwave that you just replace it for safety sake. Four years or forty years old don't matter anymore, i had one microwave, LG brand, that died two months after the warranty expired and it would cost more to repair it then replace the thing!
this is unsual but yes you can file a complaint to the manufacturer, but it will take time to figure out what is the prob, and might take more investigation, isuggest dont use this anymore and change w another one
Sounds like the magnetron has failed. There are some high voltage circuits that feed the magnetron and you can potentially get hurt if you don't know what you are doing. Would recommend you have it serviced by a professional if you want it fixed, otherwise look for a new one since the cost of repair can come close to the price of a new microwave oven.
We have the same problem - auto turn-on, non-functioning keys...
I called Magic Chef and they gave me another number to call:
I called, told the rep about our possessed microwave, and they said someone will be calling to schedule a repair visit. We bought the microwave around May '08 and it is still under warranty.
Call this number and get it fixed. It is a safety problem and Magic Chef should take care of it for you.