Question about LG 30" Over the Range Microwave Hood with Glide & Cook Tray, LMV1645S

1 Answer

Vibrating Noise and Electrical Smell

Used the microwave for six weeks when it began having a loud vibrating noise and electrical smell. Sent for repairs where they first said they could find nothing wrong. They then replaced the magnetron. Used three times and the noise and electrical smell has started again. Still under warranty.

Posted by on

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.

    Novelist:

    An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.

    Governor:

    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.

  • Expert
  • 116 Answers

The noise and smell usually come from a bad transformer. If the magnetron has burned out usually the transformer will need to be replaced as well. The transformer is right behind the grille on the right hand side.

Posted on Mar 11, 2007

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

How do I get rid of the noise?


Hello, Sarkis -

I found 4 descriptions of what may be causing the noise when you operate your microwave oven. See the information on all 4 possible causes here:
https://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/How-To-Fix-A-Microwave/78-88--/Tappan-Microwave-is-loud-or-noisy

Note: Safety advice I have read regarding microwave oven repair is to have a microwave oven repaired only by an authorized repair technician. It is not do-it-yourself work.

Any repair might not be worth the cost compared to purchasing a new replacement. A microwave repair technician authorized to work on Tappan microwave ovens will be able to evaluate what is causing the loud noise and give you an estimate of the repair costs.

Note: If you find you need to replace your microwave oven, please be sure the old microwave oven is sent to electronics recycling.

Best wishes.

Feb 15, 2018 | Tappan Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

We were using the microwave the other night and it started making a loud noise like the fan was running (although the fan was not). We let it sit for awhile and try to use it again but the noise came...


The loud noise and no heat means that the magnetron has failed. It the part that generates the microwaves that heat the food. When it fails it shorts out, causing the transformer to heat up. That is what was causing the burning smell. The cost of a replacement magnetron is around $130-150 range so it may not make sense to have it fixed.

Mar 24, 2011 | Maytag MMV4205 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

After about 2 weeks of use, the microwave began to make a horrible buzzing noise from the "box" in the upper right hand corner on the back. It also smelled horrible. It then proceeded to stop working...


Two weeks? This is a warranty problem. The buzzing noise was probably either from high-voltage arcing or an overloaded transformer trying to drive a shorted component. The smell is from something electrical getting fried. Remember it; the next time you smell it, you'll know to pull the plug.

Oct 12, 2010 | Sunbeam SMW777 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

JVM 1660WB 003 GE Profile Microwave humming sound/burning smell


the magnetron the unit has gone bad.sometimes there is burning smell as u mentioned.it is little expensive repair arond $ 150.00.find out the price of new unit plus iistallation/delivery chg and then make a decision.

Aug 17, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

GE Spacemaker XL1800 first no inside light followed by loud noise


I agree that the light is unrelated. 99.9% chance you have a bad magnetron tube but it is covered by either a 5 or 10 year parts warranty through GE. Call GE Factory Service at 1-800-432-2737 or schedule online at www.geappliances.com

Dec 16, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Loud vibrational noise


First of all, if the metal of the waveguide above the magnetron is compromised, the oven would have to be scrapped.

If it's intact, then it can be cleaned and sanded thoroughly. Then you can apply some high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Builder's Square.

In some models, there were "underperforming" magnetrons which had to be replaced along with stirrers (antennas) and high voltage didoes that also had to be replaced to electronically match the new type magnetron.

If this is the case, your "new" magnetron may not be the new type, but an old type, so the problem would just repeat.

Some suppliers and repair centers may unknowingly keep old version parts in stock.

I would check back with the servicer or supplier, but your magnetron should have a 5 to 9 year warranty.

If it is a design defect, there may be a recall or "campaign" under which you can get this taken care of.

I would call Sears customer service.

We're happy to help you and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Jul 28, 2008 | Kenmore 62642 / 62644 / 62649 Microwave...

2 Answers

Microwave makes loud noise and does not heat. Smell of light burning


yes anything can be fixed but a do it yourselfer i reccomend against this cause thats a radiated element in the micro
recommend go out and purchase a replacement go with G.E. they have the 7 year warranty great little micro. too change out is easy

Jun 02, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Maytag Rangehood Microwave Loud Humming


Sounds like you just fried your magnetron. Normally when they go bad, they make a very loud noise like what you described. The smell concerns me because you may have ruined the waveguide as well. If the magnetron burns through the protective painted surface of the waveguide, the waveguide is ruined. In most microwave ovens this means replacing the entire unit because the waveguide is not replaceable. Putting a new magnetron in a damaged waveguide will result in the same arcing and eventual failure. In addition to the magnetron, the following components are part of the same high voltage network: HV Transformer HV Diode HV Capacitor Magnetron Thermal Cut-Out Any one of these components could have also been damaged. I DO NOT recommend taking any voltage measurements inside the HV network. Potentials of over 4000 volts can be reached and make it very dangerous for the do-it-yourselfer. Taking resistance readings with the unit unplugged is strongly encouraged. If you decide to pursue a repair, inspect the magnetron tip and inside of the waveguide first. If the magnetron is melted and/or there are burn marks inside the waveguide, a new microwave may be a in order. This actually may be a better option than an expensive repair. I hope you find this advice helpful.

Jul 31, 2007 | Whirlpool GH4155XP Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Kitchen Ranges Logo

534 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top LG Kitchen Ranges Experts

Marvin
Marvin

Level 3 Expert

83940 Answers

Cindy Wells

Level 3 Expert

5755 Answers

Gene Pitts

Level 2 Expert

159 Answers

Are you a LG Kitchen Range Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...