Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Intenal Fuses for Lights

One of the over stove lights on my GE spacesaver microwave blew and it seems to have taken an internal fuse (I hope) with it. Are there internal fuses and how do I get to them? Do I have to remove the oven and disassemble?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • GE Master
  • 8,820 Answers

In some cases, it may be the fuse, which is usually located behind the grille or on the floor of the oven behind the control panel or between the door switches.

At our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.

There should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.

You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

In some cases, a light failure where a bulb shorts can damage the control board itself.

If the problem is on the control panel, we regularly repair these for customers nationwide by mail for $39.95 postpaid in about a week.

Feel free to contact me
directly (and please remind me of your full model number) for more information & help.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

William E. Miller
prototech@usa.net
http://www.microwavedisplay.com

Posted on Dec 13, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

GE Spacemaker microwave makes groaning sound when start button is pressed for a second or two then blows the internal fuse. After replacing the fuse everything seemed to work, lights, exhaust fan, cl


Could be a lot of things but most probably a shorted high voltage diode assembly. If not that then the magaetron or capactors. Remember be careful there are high voltages even when the oven is unpluged. The capactors are usually charged and must be discharged. If you don't know what yor doing then time to get a qualfied tech.

Good luck

Feb 14, 2014 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

No power - blown fuse?


If it was run without the fan a thermal protect device was more than likely taken out. Check for that and replace the fan.

Mar 25, 2013 | GE Profile Spacemaker XL 1800 36"...

1 Answer

My GE Hvm1450dniww over the stove microwave won't


May be an internal fuse that has blown

Sep 13, 2012 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My GE Spacemaker 2.0 over the counter microwave just died. No lights or anything.


Hi, It sounds like the internal fuse blew. To get to it, the case has to come off the unit and its located close to where the power cord ties in. With any and all microwaves, It is a good idea to put a surge protector on the plug to plug microwave into. Hope this helps.

Jan 18, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE spacesaver xl just died. No fan, no lights, no power. Where should I go to repair? I live in Las Vegas


Might want to check the 20A fuse by the power supply before you haul it somewhere and they charge you a service charge for a cheap fuse...

Nov 27, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE microwave not heating lights and keypad functional


You may have a fuse blown on the micro/ the vent and lights are a diffrent cercut , Try replaceing the fuse. its on the in side of the unit. if you need further assitance and you think you can do this I will be happy to instruct U DFD

Apr 11, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My GE spacesaver oven JVM230 quit, like a fuse blew. No over the stove light, no exhaust fan, nothing. I checked the circuit breaker and pluged in an appliance and it worked. The plug is okay. Jim


This is almost certainly a blown thermistor. This device is located at the air outlet on the microwave. This is a thermally sensitive resistor that cuts power if the unit overheats for safety. It can fail because of age also. Replace with the save value unit. You can get this part from electronics stores like Radio Shack.
Go to;
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/modelsearch.aspx?model=JVM1640SJ

click on your model number. Then on the next page you can select diagrams to look at.

Mar 22, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Blows internal fuses after replacing


Did you use correct fuse??? REMEMBER MICROWAVES CAN KILL EVEN WHEN UNPLUGGED
grandadfixer

Apr 30, 2008 | GE JVM1850 1000 Watts Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Ge jvm1650wb005


one of the internal door switches, the high voltage circuitry or the circut board may have a problem to resolve this you need a qualified appliance technician

Mar 31, 2008 | GE JVM1650 1000 Watts Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven Logo

40 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...