Question about Compaq Presario Notebook
I contacted HP the other day for a problem while trying to load XP on a VISTA box. They sent me to this site.. and gave me instructions for resoluation or at least an attempt.. Hope this helps
Let me know it if works for your problem
Solution: The reason for this error message is that notebook has been shipped with SATA hard drive i.e SATA hard drive controllers. But Windows XP does not have built in SATA controller drivers.
To solve this problem we need to install SATA Controller drivers before we install Windows XP using a USB floppy drive.
Many customers are not ready to buy USB floppy drive and installation of XP is so complicated using USB Floppy drive.
We have found the driver for the SATA controller on Intel Website. Customer has used it and installed retail Microsoft Windows XP with SP2 successfully on his dv6500 notebook.
The same can be achieved in all the dv2500, dv6500 and dv9500 also DV2600, DV6600 and dv9600 notebooks.
Here is the link for the SATA drivers:
1. The file contains the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Floppy Configuration Utility.
2. This utility will create a floppy disk containing the RAID driver files for installation on a 32-bit operating system.
3. This floppy can be used to pre-install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver during the F6 portion of Windows setup.
4. You needs Microsoft Windows XP with SP2 Operating System disc and the USB Floppy drive.
5. After downloading the SATA driver in another notebook, you needs to extract and execute the file. It will help in creating the floppy disk that has the SATA drivers.
6. Boot with the Microsoft Windows XP disc and make sure the USB floppy drive with floppy disc is connected to the notebook.
7. At the F6 prompt, select F6 to install additional drivers which are not in-built in the retail Microsoft Windows XP Operating System disc.
8. When the prompt comes up to install additional drivers, insert the floppy and select the correct SATA Driver. It is Intel 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller.
9. Once that is done, the rest of the installation runs as normal. There are only 2 drivers in the floppy disc that would work.
10. After the Operating System is installed in this manner you can install the chipset drivers for the notebook.
11. However for the other device drivers once Microsoft Windows XP is installed you may not have them from HP as these series are not released with a Microsoft Windows XP Operating System. The drivers like audio, ethernet and media card reader drivers etc.
12. Please be sure with EU that he might not have the other drivers from HP after installing the retail Microsoft Windows XP.
Note: Do not click on the link. Copy and the paste the link into the address bar of the web browser.
If the above solution does not resolve the issue, please login to chat support with the results of the above troubleshooting steps. Also, please use the same email ID.
Posted on Dec 07, 2008
a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 17, 2010 | Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Sep 04, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Jun 20, 2010 | Microsoft Windows XP Professional With...
Nov 20, 2009 | Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Apr 01, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Jan 02, 2009 | Compaq Armada E500 Notebook
Sep 03, 2008 | Compaq Evo N610C Notebook
265 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!