My Technics reciever has been working well for years, I suppose it is getting a bit old. Last week I connected ny laptop via the headphone jack and after a while the sound stopped and "Overload" appeared on the screen. Now any application, c.d., tuner, video is triggering the Overload. Do you know if this can be fixed?
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: Technics SA GX490 - Overload
Yes it can be fixed , the input may have shorted and is now protecting the other circuits. it will need to be looked at and tested to make the repair. so calling and probably having to take it to, an electronic repair shop will need to be done.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Most overloads are caused by the main output devices. They will go short circuit if for example speaker wires have come into touch. Another cause is high volume or a faulty speaker. Or poor ventilation around the amp causing excess heat.
The only cure is to replace the device(s) generally located on the heat sink.
Disconnect receiver from power and open the unit. Localize fuse that is placed on small PCB between main transformer "big one" and rear panel.Fuse's amperage is 1.6 A .I'm quite confident that fuse is gone.If so, replace it with the one of same amperage and try unit. My unit has done exactly the same to me with no reason. Radek
I have a Technics SA DA20 control receiver. I was given it by an electronics workshop and it has this same error of OVERLOAD coming into the display when switched on. I removed the plates from underneath and re-soldered as far as I could all the points along the stereo amplifier ICs and as far as access would allow. The unit then worked normally for several hours. I was very pleased, and went out shopping!. But on my return after it had been off for about an hour, the same problem has come back. But my boss at the electornics workshop thinks it it just a dry joint, or series of dry joints. The unit is complex to dismantle, so patience and care is required in taking it apart and making a note or diagram of how it comes to pieces and how to re-assemble it after the board has been re-soldered. It does not appear to be a component problem or fault with the SVI power amplifier ICs. firstname.lastname@example.org
Cracked solder joints due to excessive heat cycling. Do not place in a shelf system. Top MUST be open for 1 ft. or better for proper convective cooling effect. Mine suffered same fate but repaired locally.
I had the same problem. As soon as the volume reached about 24db it would go into overload. I was able to fix it by soldering all the connections on the larger power module. The one connected the the heat sink. When I took it apart there where several solder points that had come loose.