Question about Linksys WRT300N Wireless Router
SOURCE: Just hooked up Comcast internet
This might help:
Posted on Oct 05, 2008
Check to make sure that your route has DHCP turned on. Save your settings and turn everything off. Power on you modem and wait at least one minute, if your modem has a link light, it should come on and stay solid once it connect with your ISP. Then turn on your router and wait another minute for it to sync with your cable modem. Finally, turn on your computer. Remember that everytime that you plug something new into your cable modem, you have to reset your power.
Posted on May 03, 2009
HI! I bliv u are having some issue setting up ur router.. I will be more than glad to assist u. . here are the steps u need to do:
1. press the reset button on the back of the router for 20sec..while pressing the reset button, unplug the power plug and after 2secs while pressing the reset button plug it back in and press for 30secs after that unplug the router for 15secs then plug it back in..once all the lights are solid and ok
2. connect the ethernet cable to port1 of the router and the other end to the lan port of your computer..
3. pull up ur browser then type at the url:192.168.1.1.or 192.168.0.1 or u can check the routers default gateway by right clicking the network icon on the lower right of your task bar and click on status and it will show the ip address of the computer, subnetmask and default gateway, the default gateway is the routers ip address, once u type in to the url, it will ask u the username and password, by default the username is admin and the password is 1234 or just leave it blank
4. it will show the setup page of the router. u can set the router on the specific internet setup that u have.
a. if ur isp is a cable company, normaly u need to do a mac clone on the router setup page by cloning the computer that is reg to the cable company, how to determine it. ex. the computer that is reg to the cable company is a desktop or laptop, if this computer is connected to the modem directly and u can access internet.
b. once u determined it u need to connect this computer directly to the router and do a mac clone and set ur internet settings to auto-dhcp..then save the settings and after that, unplug to the power of the modem and router, plug in 1st the power of the modem then once all lights lit, plug in the router, then once all lights lit, try to pull up a browser that ur computer is connected directly to the router.. ur cable connection shud be, cable from the modem will go to the WAN port of the router and connect ethernet cable on port1 going to the lan port of the computer..once u can access the internet, u can now access again the setup page of the router by typing at the url:192.168.1.1 and u can setup the wireless settings, u need to create a ssid or wireless name and a security..
5. If ur isp is a dsl normaly they give u a username and password to connect to the internet, ur settings on the router should be PPPoe
6. If ur isp gives u a static ip address settings, u need to set the router to isp setup.
a. how to check the isp of the isp given to u..
1. click on start
3. type cmd
4. it will show a dos prompt
5. from the dos prompt type ipconfig/all
6. it will list the ip address, subnet, default gateway, dns server
this settings should be type in to the settings on the router for static ip addressing..
7. Once your done on the internet setting, go to your wireless connection settings and you can create a wireless network name or ssid, set a security by selecting wep, wpa, wpa2.
8. once all is set. save the settings and to check if your laptop can access the wireless network that you did, turn on the wireless switch of your laptop, once its on, it will show the wireless network icon on the lower right of the taskbar, right click it and select on view available network, the network name that u did should list, just select it and connect and it will ask for the password, just type the password and connect, you should be connected to the wireless network and have internet access..
9. If you are going to hook up your desktop to the wireless connection, you need to install a wireless network adapter, install the driver and do the same thing as u did to the laptop, for the desktop no need of turning on the wireless switch, once you install the driver correctly, it will show a network icon..
if you have any query pls feel free to get in touch.. good luck
Posted on Oct 05, 2009
When connecting the devices make sure that you turn on the device in this manner: modem (wait for the lights to be solid) then router, then the computer.
Check if you can get online, if not then follow the steps below:
1. Open a web browser and type this in the address bar: 192.168.1.1
2. Then you will be in the setup page of the router. You need to know what is your connection type obtained from your ISP.
If DHCP, internet connection type should be: Automatic Configuration - DHCP should be selected.
If PPPoE, select PPPoE and type the username and password provided by your ISP.
3. Then save the changes.
Once that the internet connection is working from the PC hardwired connected to the router, then check the wireless settings under the wireless tab. Take note of the SSID, wide channel, and the wireless security and preshared key.
Put those settings on the wireless adapter of the laptop and you should be able to get online.
I hope this works! Good luck!
Posted on Dec 15, 2009
Guru - Marked is correct but may I add this:
The WRT160N router has short memory to be used by torrent / emule. If you start using many seeds/connections then this router cannot manage them all and stops working. You can try to reduce the maximum connections in emule, in the routers settings.
Before you reset your router I would recommend making sure you have the latest firmware upgrade, as follows:
Follow these steps to upgrade the firmware on the router : - Open
an Internet Explorer browser page.In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1
Leave username blank & in password type admin in lower case...
Click on the 'Administration' tab- Then click on the 'Firmware Upgrade' sub tab- Here click on 'Browse' and browse the .bin(firmware file) and click on "Upgrade"-Wait for few seconds until it shows that "Upgrade is successful" After the firmware upgrade, click on "Reboot" and you will be returned back to the same page OR it will say "Page cannot be displayed".
If so, then, press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.
Then, unplug the power keep holding down the reset button for
another 30 Seconds.
Plug back the power back in, and keep holding down the reset button
for 30 Seconds.
Release the reset button.
Here is the link to the latest firmware for this router:
Posted on Dec 30, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 16, 2014 | Arris SB5100 SURFboard DOCSIS 2.0 Cable...
Apr 28, 2012 | Linksys WRT120N Router
Mar 02, 2011 | NetGear WNR1000 Router
Nov 28, 2010 | RCA DCM425 DIGITAL CABLE MODEM (RCADCM425)
Feb 11, 2010 | Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless Router
Jul 10, 2009 | RCA DCM425 DIGITAL CABLE MODEM (RCADCM425)
Mar 30, 2009 | D-Link DIR-625 (790069292637) Wireless...
Apr 07, 2008 | Linksys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Router W/4 Port...
Mar 04, 2008 | Westell Wirespeed LiteLine 6100...
20 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: