Mold related illness looking for a mold unfriendly a/c
I'm looking for a split system because I can control better what goes over the evaporator coils, my concern is how easy is the ams09 evaporator coil to clean? This is a very important factor for me. Of course I would be using hepa filtration inside to mitigate mold growth on the evaporator coils but still need easy access to them. Can I get any pdf files or more pictures of the unit somewhere?
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
Re: Mold related illness looking for a mold unfriendly...
Be sure to leave room between filter and coil for installation of a uv light. hepa filtration may not be as effective as a micron filter. some hepa filters are glorified pleated filters. i use april air filter cases with replaceable cartridge inserts for filtration down to 3 microns. filters are 42.50 a piece to replace cartridges, no moving parts and the coil will be immaculate 10 years from now even if you empty the vac in the return every week . they are that good. the cartridge lasts a year under normal use. i have never in 15 years had a mold and or mildew problem on a unit with an april air filter, the uv light is a great accessory but probably not needed in 90 percent of the applications unless you are going for doctors office where proceedures will be performed, etc. good luck
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Only a mold expert (certified) can tell you its mold. I usually see a lot of mildew in the air handlers. Bleach will clean it but it will also stain and deteriorate any metal you get bleach on. I've found a coil cleaner at a refrigeration parts supply that has a disinfectant in it. EVAPORATOR NO RINSE WITH DISINFECTANT. I've only used it twice and haven't had the chance to go back to see if it helped keep it from growing. A U.V. light will help contain and control any growth. You may have an airflow issue allowing growth.
You can shut off breaker to the unit and go on roof and remove cover to do a visual check under cover in drip pan etc, as well as shine a flashlight in where filter at ceiling goes to look at coils and fins (way up inside) for any sign of mold etc. The hard part here is that I am going to assume it is a ducted system, and we can't be sure the mold smell isn't coming from the ductwork. Hopefully you"ll see something when cover on roof is removed. How old is the trailer?
The outer chassis needs to be removed and then gain access to the scroll fan. Once accessable use a mold and mildew remover on everything EXCEPT the evaporator coils. Many mold and mildew removers are very corrosive to evaporators. A well used scotch brite pad works well on any styro-foam and metal. A pot scrubber brush also does a good job on cleaning the scroll fan. Once you finish cleaning use a fresh water squirt bottle to rinse off the mold and mildew cleaner residue as best you can. Place rags in the bottom and rinse. Wring out the rags and rinse again. I personally use Mr. Muscle Mold and Mildew Remover but it is really hard on your hands. Disposable Latex gloves are a must. You will not get rid all of the discoloration off of styrofoam but you will get rid of the smell and the majority of the problem. This is a task a homeowner can do.... just be careful when gain access to the scroll fan.
Mold can make you very ill depending on which type of mold it is. Mold forms in dark, wet environments and can be hard to get rid of. Your a/c unit needs taken apart and each piece that has mold will need to be cleaned thoroughly and carefully before re-installation.
Your evaporator couil is dirty and likely has mold growing in it. This is not unusual for a coil that has not been cleaned and sanitised in a long time or at all. I would suggest a professional here because you could do some bad damage to your air handler by taking it apart! Leave this to a pro!
most central a/c units have a drain that either goes into the house drain system or they have a pump with a float activated switch to pump water out once full. to identify you must find your air handler ( the unit that blows air into the house) remove the lower panel and look for one of the foremantioned drain systems. could be a simple mold problem, mold tends to build in the drain tubes because the flow of water is relatively low.
Mold spores are probably coming from surrounding surfaces... The simple fix is BLEACH...but washing the unit(with the power off) will not fix the problem if you dont kill the mold spores on surrounding surfaces... [simple: the blower circulates AIR,,, MOLD SPORES TRAVEL THROUGH THE UNIT AND LAND ALL OVER IT...] find the source, kill the source... and maybe go see the Doctor, the mold may be in your lungs too...
You have mold and /or mildew growth in your evaporator drain pan assy. You need to take the case off and insert a mold/mildew anti growth agent. You can purchuse this at most hardware stores or HVAV supply houses.