"Nero only recognizes the drive as 4x dvd+/-r..." ...
- 4x for which media format (e.g., CD-RW, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, etc.)?
- Have you had/used Nero during the entire year you've used this drive?
- Is it ACTUALLY burning at a slower speed than before that you know of, or is it only the Nero indicator that you're going by?
If you've updated both the driver(s) and device firmware, there's nothing further that can be done in that department.
Both these sources (1) http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters?DVDnameidnew=1336&orderby=Price
corroborate each other with the following speed spec's for your drive:
24x CD-RW (up to 32x)
Are you getting at-or-near these speeds with your specific applicable disk media (i.e., DVD+RW @ 8x)? In other words: Make sure you are comparing apples-to-apples.
Here are a couple of very helpful and comprehensive software diagnostic tools for you to download at http://www.cdspeed2000.com/download.html
. They are both FREEWARE and the same tools licensed to Nero for inclusion in their software products.
Installation: Simply extract/unzip the file to any chosen directory and run the executable (*.EXE).
1. "Nero DiscSpeed". Thoroughly tests speed and performance of your optical drives(s).
- Refer to the program's Help for guidance.
- User guide also available at http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=192563
2. "Nero DriveSpeed". Adjust/control your drive's spin /up/down times and noise levels.
HOWEVER, since you say you have Nero, you're likely to have them installed and available already. Perform an objective test using "Nero DiscSpeed" to determine the actual burn speed of you drive.
Good luck, and please post back to let me know how things work out, or if you have any further questions.
"Today's the best day of my life...and NOW you're part of it!"