How to rip commercial DVDs on Mac - for playback on wide screen TV via WD TV Mini
WD TV Mini Media Player supports up to 1080i resolution for crisp HD media playback, besides this feature, it will never limit the size of your media collection, and you just need add more drives as you like. However there is no luck with commercial DVDs, even though you need not consider about the storage space, because these DVDs have strict copy protections, which WD TV Mini is unable to decrypt. To rip commercial DVDs to a compatible format with WD TV Mini on your Mac, what you will need is Pavtube DVD Ripper for Mac only. Go to find a step-by-step instruction as below.
First off, have a look at WD TV Mini Media Player supported media formats: Videos:
AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG4), MPG/MPEG, VOB/ISO, MP4/MOV (MPEG4), RM or RMVB 8/9/10 Audios:
MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, OGG, APE
You can free download Pavtube DVD Ripper for Mac
here. Step 1: Launch Pavtube DVD Ripper for Mac, and load DVD files to it
You can click "DVD folder" or "IFO file" to load DVD files directly from the DVD-Rom, DVD folder, or from an IFO image file. Step 2: Select an output format for WD TV Mini Media Player
Click on the pull down menu of "Format" to a WD TV Mini Media Player supported format as output format. Here I select "Xvid AVI" as my choice. Step 3: Set advanced settings
Click on "Settings" button, and you are allowed to adjust audio and video parameters on the popup window including codec, bit rate, frame rate, sample rate, aspect ratio, and audio channels. The user manual of WD TV Min tells us that when playback .avi (Xvid) video files, WD TV Mini supports up to 720*576 30fps or 720*480 30fps, so we need to follow the manual while ripping a DVD. Step 4: Set destination folder
Click "Browse" button to specify where to export the output files to. Step 5: Click "Convert" button to start ripping DVD
The following window will show you clearly about the ripping info, such as time elapse, estimated left time, generated file size, and estimated file size. In that way, you are able to manage your time and storage space in a proper way.
Once ripping work is done, you can click "Open" button to get the output files for WD TV Mini effortlessly. Additional tips:
1. The ripping speed of this software is 1-2 times faster than the similar programs. Merge multiple files into one file is available.
2. Enable users to select specific subtitle and audio track to convert.
3. Guarantee audio-video in sync.
4. With exception of adding text as watermark, images, GIF animations, and videos can also be added as watermarks to realize the picture-in-picture effect.
5. You can use the "Trim" function to select certain DVD clips to convert. And you can also take advantage of the "Crop" function to remove black edges or change the screen size.