Few weeks ago i noticed a burn smell coming from the heater on the house, it smell like the first time you turn the heater on in the winter and it burns the dust or hair trapt on the coils during summer.
and i noticed a lower flow of air coming from the unit.
it does blow a little heat but not suficient to heat the house.
i did check the filters and i did not change them for 4 months (ups....)
i was thinking that the coils on the heater are chocked with dust and dirt, (since i did not change the filters sooner and because of the burn smell)
however this morning i turn the unit off and turn on the fan only, and it did not came on.
i check the brackers and all of them are O.K. (2 for the A/C and 2 for the Heater. out side the house by the unit, and 1 in the box where all the brackers fro the house are)
at this point i am thinking that a fan may be the problem, but i am not sure.
do you guys have any ideas on what i may do.
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
Re: heater problem model PHK 080-1
THE BURNING SMELL IS NORMAL. BEFORE HEATING SEASON OPEN ALL DOORS AND TURN THE HEAT UP AND LET RUN TILL ALL DUST IS BURNT OFF.
IF BLOWER IS NOT COMMING ON NOW. THERE ARE 2 TIME DELAY RELAYS, AND ANOTHER RELAY FOR "FAN ONLY OPERATION". ALWAYS MAKE SURE THEY ARE NOT THE PROBLEM BEFORE REPLACING AN EXPENSIVE MOTOR.
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones). click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Good luck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
the bearing in the blower motor is going out causing the noise and the smell is coming from the blower motor. the parts house will give you the right blower motor for your vehicle make and model and engine size.
To make sure that there is not a problem with your blower test it on cool. if it runs good. then start the heater on auto and it should be okay. but still supervise the operation for about 5 mins. if you still smell something burning . then call an AC Technician for help.
Albert Saavedra AC Technician Fort Worth/Dallas TX 773-627-8766
The burning smell is most likely an issue with the blower motor. These small motors have a hard life and the windings can lose the insulation and short out, hence the burning smell. Another problem can arise if the air intake has filled with leaves and other matter which can be ignited by the fan speed resistor creating the smoke. As this matter rots down, it creates chemicals which can erode the insulation on the motor and cause burning and the eventual failure of the motor. The fan speed resistor is a bank of wirewound or solid state resistors wired across the fan motor which give the individual fan speeds. If these fail then you would lose the fan as well. Search out the fan housing as the resistor is usually fitted into this housing to keep it cool.
NEVER turn the fan on if this resistor is out of the housing as it WILL get hot and It can cause a nasty burn..the resistor can have upto 7 wires plugged into it but as to it's exact location, that you will have to find on your own..
Mhenn, It is my guess that the 'electrical burning' smell is from your heating system. Since there is no smoke and the walls are not warm.... then there is no real problem. The smell maybe just dust has collected in the duct work that is burning off the central heating systems electrical heat strips. If you have electrical heat strips then that may be the problem. If you have a central gas heat system, it may be the same type problem. Hope this helps you. Henry
It is posible that your heater is burning fumes from paint, varnish or stain and some times carpet cleaners or other household cleaners. I work for a utility company. We get called to homes for a lighter fluid/kerosene smell quit often. Most of the time it is from the fumes burning off on a standing pilot gas oven. The odor collects in the oven and is released in the customers face when they open the oven door. This will happen with any open flame appliance when exposed to these fumes.
I just bought a Bosch made for Sears and I'm trying to return it. I'm going to get a Kitchaid instead. We got ours two months ago and Sears is being difficult in letting us return it. I had a technician come to the house and he said it smells--slightly oily or rubbery. I went to a store and all of the Bosch dishwashers smell. Anyone reading this, don't get the Bosch.