If you have a virus you can not delete or if your system will not boot up correctly and you suspect a virus is the problem, a recommended solution is to start your computer in safe mode and run a virus scan. By running your computer in safe mode, non-essential processes do not start and non-core components are disabled. In other words, only the minimum necessary programs will load. Tough to remove viruses, spyware and other malware usually have no chance to run and disrupt your system and can more easily be removed.
**To run a virus scan in safe mode, you must have active anti virus software installed on your computer.
To run a virus scan in safe mode, follow these steps:
- If your computer is on, shut it down
- Power on your computer
- Immediately after you power on your computer, repeatedly press the [F8] key (about once per second)
- In the Windows Advanced Options Menu screen, use the arrows to select Safe Mode and presss [Enter]
- Select your current operating system and press [Enter]
- Select the user you would like to login under (if applicable)
- When your system finishes booting, click the Start button on your task bar
- Move your cursor over All Programs and navigate to your anti virus program
- Click on your antiv virus program to run it and follow the anti virus program’s normal steps to run a virus scan
- After the virus scan is complete, Delete all detected viruses
- Close out of your anti virus software
- Restart your computer (it should start in normal mode)