- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
How old is it? You could have either a dead battery and/or your power cable has gone bad. I've seen both once with a computer. Usually its just the battery.. they last about 3 years or so, especially if you keep the computer plugged in all the time.
Does your battery not start the computer up at all or it starts the computer up but something is wrong with the battery Example the battery only charges to 80% then stops chargeing? battery just can hold a charge at all etc.
You have reached the end life of the battery pack. The battery must have some minimum charge to have computer function even with the AC power pack connected. So I suggest you replace the battery pack as a solution. Any local Radio Shack store can test this battery I am told free of charge.
Unfortunatly, hard drives don't last very long after they have been dropped. You will need to get a new hard drive installed and then re-install your operating system of choice. If in the town you live in, there is a Data Doctor, they may be able to restore any lost files from the now dead drive. Typically, a restoration can take upto 3 weeks, depending if it can be brought back from the dead.
It sounds like you have a fault with the power port on the mainboard or
power board (quite a few gateways have a separate power board) , the
battery won't charge if this damaged or loose which would explain the
dead battery. The smell is probably caused by sparking on the loose
power port. I wouldn't try to power it on anymore as you may damage it
further. it is possible that the area around the power port is burntout
therefore rendering the powerboard or mainboard useless but they are
replaceable at a cost. If the laptop is still under warranty then you
will need to take it back to where you brought it.
You will need to take it to an engineer to have it assessed unless you are able to make the repair yourself. Good luck hope this helps.
Gateway was working good went upstairs came back NOTHING BLACK SCREEN....
My gateway screen was constently black every time I powered on nothing no bios, nostart up no warning..The board has indicating lights to follow the start up power light on, battery light on, then the disk drive....but thats it normaly the harddrive reader light comes on but nothing.... So detached every component and tested individually..... come to find out one of my 2 ram slots is damaged not the chips...this could be your problem..try