Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Caught fire One of the 4 prongs that hold the metal rack shot flames, now the rubber on the prong is burnt. We purchased the oven when we had the kitchen remodeled 4-5 years ago. Has this been a problem? Should a microwave be obsolete after 5 years?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • GE Master
  • 8,820 Answers

>Should a microwave be obsolete after 5 years?

Not at all. You can just order a new rack support (or a whole set of them).

You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

Quite often this arcing is due to grease or food particles stuck between the holder and the hole it goes into, etc.

If the cavity metal of the oven is chipped or charred, it will have to be sanded smooth and clean and dried thoroughly.

Then you can apply some high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Builder's Square.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Dec 08, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

I need to know if its safe to operate a microwave on a metal chrome wire shelf similar to a bakers rack which can hold 100 pounds per shelf


some microwaves are able to accepa a metal object others are not.
If your microwave ever came with a rack or a temp. probe made from metal then you can add a rack,newer microwaves bounce the microwaves better than older ones,thus the ability for the microwaves to bounce better.
Older microwaves direct the microwaves to a pinpointed center of oven, so what happens when there's metal in the focus area?
It bounces straight back to the transmitter which in turn over heats.resulting in a burnt out microwave transmitter.
good luck,Gary

Oct 28, 2013 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Machine not turning on


1. Plug the microwave into the outlet if the microwave won't power up. Make sure the plugs on the microwave match the type of outlet. A four-pronged outlet can only be used with a four-pronged plug. Same with three-pronged outlets---they only work with three-pronged plugs.

2. Inspect the plug. Make sure it hasn't been cut or tampered with. Four-pronged plugs can't be cut down to fit a three-pronged outlet. Three-pronged plugs mustn't be forced into four-pronged outlets. A three-pronged plug mustn't be used in a two-pronged outlet, either.

3. Replace blown fuses, or if there's a circuit breaker, check it for tripped breakers. Sometimes the trip won't be obvious, so cycle the circuit breakers. Turn them all the way off and then back on again.

4. Plug another appliance in the outlet. You will find this easier with three-pronged appliances. Simply plug a toaster, or other appliance into the microwave's outlet, and see if it works. If it works, you know the problem is with the microwave, not the power circuit. Have the microwave serviced or replace it. If the toaster or other appliance doesn't turn on, you know the problem is with the circuit.
Hope i could help you.
Have a nice day : )

Sep 04, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Kenmore refrig with burnt up relay etc. and a melted prong. Can i fix compressor easily by replacement


If the terminal on the compressor is burnt or broken the compressor must be replaced.

Aug 23, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave has no power when plunged in


1) Plug the microwave into the outlet if the microwave won't power up. Make sure the plugs on the microwave match the type of outlet. A four-pronged outlet can only be used with a four-pronged plug. Same with three-pronged outlets---they only work with three-pronged plugs.
2) Inspect the plug. Make sure it hasn't been cut or tampered with. Four-pronged plugs can't be cut down to fit a three-pronged outlet. Three-pronged plugs mustn't be forced into four-pronged outlets. A three-pronged plug mustn't be used in a two-pronged outlet, either.
3) Replace blown fuses, or if there's a circuit breaker, check it for tripped breakers. Sometimes the trip won't be obvious, so cycle the circuit breakers. Turn them all the way off and then back on again.
4) Plug another appliance in the outlet. You will find this easier with three-pronged appliances. Simply plug a toaster, or other appliance into the microwave's outlet, and see if it works. If it works, you know the problem is with the microwave, not the power circuit. Have the microwave serviced or replace it. If the toaster or other appliance doesn't turn on, you know the problem is with the circuit.

Apr 04, 2011 | Maytag Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

A plastic container with hidden piece of metal caught fire in my Sharp r1490 and burned with a big flame. Several small holes were burned in the ceiling panel. Are we in danger of radiation exposure/ is...


The microwave oven is not safe to use, the fire has compromised the interior of the oven, if you run the microwave it will start to arc and eventually short out the magnetron, because the white enamel paint has been burned away. If you have holes in the ceiling there is danger of radiation leakage, for safety reasons the oven should be replaced.

Feb 23, 2011 | Sharp R-1490 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My 7year old kenmore microwave 721-62462 occasionally would buzz and flash behind the metal panel on the side of the microwave. This would happen off and on but without any real rhyme or reason. Today it...


ther is a high voltage generator to generate enough power to the magnetron to produce microwaves, it was probably ARCHING voltage to the body of the oven due to a faulty insulator and the paint caught on fire... as for using it well DON'T it is not safe, and will cost more to repare than a new one

Sorry!

Jan 05, 2011 | Kenmore 66469 / 66462 / 66464 Microwave...

1 Answer

Changing interior light on GE jvm1790


1. Unplug Oven
2. Unscrew 2 screws on top front of oven
3. Pull of front vent (might need a little force the
first time but not to much or you will crack
plastic)
4. Unscrew screw facing you near the front that is
attached to metal plate on bottom of opening
behind the vent.
5. Pull out metal plate (box) carefully not to
damage any wires.
6.Bulb is in this metal box, pull out old one and
press the new one's prongs into holes (be
careful and gentle the bulb breaks easily,
don't try to pull it back out to see if it's all
the way in or you will most likely pull a
prong out of the bulb)
just firmly press bulb
into place.
6. Screw metal plate back in place.
7. Plug in oven and test bulb.
8. Unplug oven again and put vent back on with
the 2 screws.
9. Plug in, set clock and your done.

The first time I opened it up was to look for the bulb. The vent needed a little pulling to come off. The second time (to put in new bulb) it came off easier and whole thing took about 5 minutes.
Hope this helps.
Just in case: I am not a professional nor claim to be. This is based on my own experience. Yours may differ. Unless you feel totally comfortable you should contact a licensed electrician or an authorized service agent.

Oct 18, 2010 | GE JVM1790 Convection / Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Micowave sparks a fire


I had the same exact problem. My clips arced when I ran the unit and I also observed flames which was quite unsetteling. A work around for me, since I don't use the rack was I took it out then removed the clips. All that was required to remove the clips was a pair of plyers grabing each cliip at their base. I pulled firmly and there is alittle resistance but with a firm pull straight out they'll pop out.

But I have to say if you use rack your probably looking for a new mircowave.

Dec 27, 2008 | Whirlpool MH1150XMQ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burnt hole in microwave


Is the hole actually bigger than it originally was or is it just empty because the rack support got burned up & discarded?

The rack supports / rack holders can be ordered. The part number is WB06X10140 (or WB6X10140) and they're less than $5.00 each. You can find them in stock here.

If you install a new rack support in the hole, then any gap or hole around it can allow grease to accumulate, and that can lead to arcing. But you can seal it safely & easily.

Once the support is installed and everything is squeaky clean and dry, you can apply a small amount of silicone caulk into the gap or hole.

Let it dry it overnight with the door open, then use a razor blade or X-acto knife to gently trim away any excess caulk.

That would be a really good fix.

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Jun 07, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave caught fire


It sounds like a failed high-voltage transformer.

That oven retails for about $80 right now, so I don't think a non-warranty repair is economical.

But since a FLAME(!) came out of it, I would think you have a VERY strong case to "convince" Sharp to give you a replacement pronto...

You can contact Sharp at 1-800-BE-SHARP (1-800-237-4277).

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Feb 17, 2008 | Sharp R-306LK Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven Logo

143 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...