Is this a pc or mac?
for windows general make sure you folowed these steps:
- Click Start, Programs, Lexmark Series.
- Click Lexmark Control Panel.
- Click Print Cartridge installation.
- Depending on which cartridges you are using and which printer model you have, select Install Color Cartridge or Install Black Cartridge or Install Photo Cartridge.
- Carefully remove the tape covering the printhead of the print cartridge. Important: Be sure to remove all of the tape. Do not touch the copper area on the back of the cartridge.
- Insert the print cartridge into the print cartridge carrier.
- Push the cartridge back until it clicks into place.
- If the print cartridge moves loosely in the carrier, it is not locked into place. Repeat step 7.
- Click the appropriate Cartridge Installed option in the printer software.
- If you choose to install a new print cartridge, you will be prompted to align your print cartridges. The printer will print a page with a bi-directional alignment pattern. Follow these steps to align the cartridges:
- On the printed test page, locate the number under the Bi-directional Alignment pattern that comes closest to forming a straight line.
- Enter the number as the Bi-directional Alignment setting in the Alignment Cartridge screen.
- Click OK.
- Close the front cover of the printer.