Question about Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
It will turn on then randomly turns itself off after a yellowish green light flashes next to the on light then beeps twice then cuts off followed by a blinking red light. i have tryd to use a compressed air spray can to "clean" from any dust but i have found that it has been useless.
I have had this same probelm unfortnaully .. It sux , and after trying alot of different things and reading , and talking to sony themselfs seems only fix is $150 repair or a new playstation :( . . Have you noticed your fan is just loud and has like 3 stages of loudness? Thats what mine did , and i got the red flashing lights if not loud then anthor device in your playstation has stopped working sorry to say
Posted on Apr 12, 2009
The yellow light is also know as the yellow light of death casued by a hardware failure. It can be casued ny over heating a bluray drive failure, a hard drive failure or even a powersupply failure. You know you have it when you power up the yellow light flashes then you hear some beeps then the red llight flashes. I would suggest returning it if you have that option or getting it fixed somewhere else as a last option.
Posted on Jul 24, 2010
The PS3 YLoD can be caused by a number of things. Most commonly, it's a result of a hardware failure, overheating, dust build-up inside the system, and occasionally just due to loose cables.
Let's start with the easy stuff first to narrow down the cause. Follow the steps below:
1. Assuming you were playing your PS3 when the YLoD happened, move your PS3 into an open area with a lot of ventilation and let it cool down for 20-30 minutes. Once it's cool, try to turn it back on and see if that helped. If not, go to Step 2.
2. Unplug all of your cables from the PS3 including the A/V and the power cord. Also unplug the power cable from the wall. Now try to plug them all back in and make sure they are all secure. Turn the PS3 back on and check if it's working. If not, go to step 3.
How to Fix PS3 Yellow Light on Your Own
3. Get a vacuum with a hose attachment and vacuum out the vents on the system. Sometimes dust build-up alone can cause your PS3 to stop working properly. You might also want to take one of those cans of air and blow it in there to get some of the stubborn pieces of dust out.
If none of those solutions worked, the problem lies within the PS3 and you will probably need to take it apart to fix it. The most likely scenario is that your heat-shield overheated, the chipsets got shifted due to heat, and your solder could be cracked.
the causes of the yellow light of death
Here are some of the top causes of the PS3 Yellow Light of Death:
* Overheating - The unit gets too hot. Sometimes caused by too much dust buildup in the vents.
* Blu-Ray drive failure.
* Bad power supply.
* Hard-drive critical errors.
* Hardware malfunction on the motherboard - The solder starts to crack due to excessive heating and cooling.
if you have warranty then take it back if you dont then you can either try the repair yourself how ever this is not very easy to do and can cause more harm than good you will need special tools to take it apart and its not easy you also need an understanding of heat seal paste and heat sinks due to this being the part you need to remove and put back
i do the repair for about 25pound plus parts so if you are paying someone to do it then your looking at least that price, i only charge if the problem is fixed so try and get the best price you can.
let me know if you need further assistance ok
plz rate this solution as i have a whole page of unrated posts, thanks
Posted on Sep 18, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 29, 2011 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
system turns on but then turns itself off, beeps at you and flashes it's lights
at you then you have over heated the system. The GPU chip has probly pulled
itself away from the board. This will require you to diassemble the PS3...
better u download repair guide....
click here to download repair guide
Dec 17, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Jul 19, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Dec 22, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Aug 19, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Jun 29, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
May 03, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Mar 31, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Mar 24, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
35 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!