Question about Microwave Ovens
is usually caused by either a bad door switch or a loose door switch
mount, which are pretty simple problems to fix.
It sounds like the switch is not activating properly, and the inside light, turntable and magnetron cooling fan are not coming on.
If the magnetron runs without the cooling fan, it will overheat and its thermostat will interrupt the power to the oven until it cools back down.
Door switch or mount trouble is usually caused by slamming the door or by opening the door while it's cooking without hitting the Stop pad first.
There are plastic mounts inside the microwave which hold the door switches and onto which the door latches lock when you close the door.
The screws on these mounts may be loose. If they get too loose, the switches will not be activated properly.
Sometimes it's a broken tab on the switch holder, allowing the switch to rotate just out of position. This tab can be hard to see, since it is under the bottom edge of the switch.
If you or someone you know decide to look into it, we have critical information on safety, disassembly and door switches at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa:.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Dec 02, 2008
Microwave over the stove made a pop sound and stopped heating. Also, when door was opened it had a bad smell.
Posted on Oct 06, 2009
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 04, 2018 | Microwave Ovens
Dec 02, 2011 | Russell Hobbs Microwave Ovens
Apr 30, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
It sounds like the magnetron may have
either failed or is not being supplied with the extremely high
voltage required to run it.
SAFETY IS PARRAMOUNT
This is a job for a professional but if
you are safety clued up, here's instruction.
Make sure the !!!!capacitor is discharged!!!!! before attempting any sort of repair.
Check the door interlock switches first then the high voltage diode with either an AVO model 8 or moving coil meter on high resistance range for short circuit, (DVM's won't show the fault!), the capacitor can fail and go short circuit, the feed fuse on the primary of the high voltage transformer and then finally, the magnetron is best checked by substitution.
Hope that helps.
Jan 04, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
May 01, 2010 | Microwave Ovens
Dec 03, 2009 | Zanussi ZMC30STQX Convection Microwave...
May 25, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
Mar 15, 2008 | Microwave Ovens
465 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!