ISP SBC SpeedStream 5100b Modem Causes Install and Connection to Fail
* You have a new router, and cannot get online to the Internet.
* The Setupwizard will detect dynamic IP even though you have a PPoE connection. (Going to router status on the administration page, there is a private IP address on Internet port. 192.168.x.x range.)
The SBC DSL modem SpeedStream 5100b, used on new DSL and Yahoo SBC DSL installations since Feb. 2004, causes the NETGEAR router Setup Wizards to fail, and prevents routers from connecting to the Internet. This problem affects many router brands.
The modem can be distinguished from the earlier 5100 by a 5th light labeled "Internet".
The SpeedStream 5100b's default configuration is "PPPoE on the Modem" ? matching a built-in PPPoE client convenience feature that sends login ID and password to SBC.
To Work Around These Issues, Configure the Modem for Bridged Mode
Note: In Bridge Mode you cannot to connect to the modem's configuration menu, except by resetting it as described below.
1. Disconnect the router from your network, and connect the computer directly to the SpeedStream modem
2. Open an Internet browser.
3. Type 192.168.0.1 in the browser address field and click Enter. The modem displays a configuration menu.
4. Click Advanced.
5. Enter the "Access Code" printed on the bottom of the modem.
6. Click PPP Location. The PPP Location screen appears.
7. Select Bridged Mode (PPPoE is Not Used).
8. Click Save Changes.
9. Connect the router between the computer and the modem.
10. Power off the modem.
11. Power off the computer.
12. Connect the Internet port of the NETGEAR router to the Ethernet port of the modem.
13. Connect the computer to a LAN port on the NETGEAR router.
14. Power on the modem and wait for 2 minutes. Don't go to the next step until this is finished.
15. Power on the router and wait for 1 minute. Don't go to the next step until this is finished.
16. Power on the computer.
17. Log in to the router by typing 192.168.0.1 in your browser.
18. When prompted, using lowercase letters, type admin for the user name, and password for the password. Some older routers use 1234 for the default password. If you forgot your router password see http://www.fixya.com/ThreadView.aspx?thid=102081&prdid=252188
19. Use the Setup Wizard to connect to the Internet.
To Reset the Modem To Enable Access to the Configuration Screen
1. Disconnect the computer from the modem.
2. Power off the modem.
3. Power off the computer.
4. Connect the Ethernet port of the modem to the computer Ethernet port.
5. Power on the modem and wait for 2 minutes. Don't go to the next step until this is finished.
6. Power on the router and wait for 1 minute. Don't go to the next step until this is finished.
7. Power on the computer.
8. Open an Internet browser.
9. Type 192.168.0.1 in the browser address field and click Enter. The modem displays a configuration menu.
10. Click Advanced.
11. Enter the "Access Code" printed on the bottom of the modem.
12. Click PPP Location. The PPP Location screen appears.
13. Select PPPoE on the modem.
14. Click Save Changes.
15. At the login screen type in your SBC member ID and password (which is usually the primary email address on the SBC DSL account and the password for the primary email address).
16. Click Connect.
* If successful, a screen appears reading "You Are Connected", and the Internet light goes solid green.
* An error will display if the username or password is invalid.
* If there are other problems the message "The DSL connection is down" appears.
Feb 19, 2006 |
NetGear FR114P Router