Question about Maytag 24 in. MDB5600A Jetclean II Built-in Dishwasher
I have a Maytag MDB5600 Quiet Series 100 built in dishwasher. It was purchased a little over a year ago. I have found mice inside the dishwasher on numerous occasions. They chew through the plastic grate that is on the hole in the bottom left hand corner of the interior. I have already replaced the grate twice and they keep chewing through it. How can Maytag sell a dishwasher that mice can get into so easily? Has anyone else encountered this problem? I am very concerned about the health-issue aspect of this.
I have an MDBH945AWW.
I FIXED IT! They are getting in thru the water inlet/vent in the lower bottom left of the dishwasher. Here's how we fixed it:
1. Turn off water to machine if possible. Open the door, remove screws on side and top that hold dishwasher in place. Pull the dishwasher out from under the counter. Remove racks from inside.
2. Remove the sound insulation blanket. Mine was a mouse nest so I threw the thing out. Not going to replace it as the noise increase is minimal.
3. On the left side of the tub outside there is a tube that comes from under and is hooked to a small plastic box with an open top. THIS is the point of entry!
4. Poke a long screwdriver or something down into the box and pop the plastic tension prongs free. Reach into the dishwasher and remove the circular plastic grill.
5. Twist the plastic box to the right or left until the tabs line up and it will pop out of the side of the tub. Remove the tube from the box. The box should now be free.
6. Cut a square of 1/4 hardware mesh cloth (flexible metal grid) and cut a hole to fit over the nipple for the tube. Put mesh over the top of the box, secure in place with really heavy duty tape. Something strong like Gorilla Tape or even metal tape for ducts.... conventional duct tape will not hold after a year or so. I taped all around the edges and sealed it down only leaving the top with the mesh exposed.
7. Put the tube back on and then reinstall the box and then the grill.
8. Take this time to SUPER CLEAN the area under and around the dishwasher. Even the outside of the washer. Mice return to the smell of their poop.
9. Put the washer back in and don't forget the screws as well as turning the water back on.
$5 fix or a $500 new machine... you choose!
Oh yeah, and I'm a girl too...
Posted on Feb 06, 2011
I'll be darned, I've got a Maytag Quiet 300 -- and mice. We have been putting poison in the dishwasher for a few days...I just pulled the thing out to find out where the damage was and noticed that little left access port and fortunately no serious damage to the Maytag. Dang...what to do what to do.....they're living somewhere in the walls......
Posted on Jul 19, 2009
I have put steel mesh over the plastic mesh which I got at the hardware srore, and it fixed the problem. the mice are getting in through an exterior hole in your house. Use coarse steel wool to plug any holes or cracks larger than 3/8 of an inch around your house. How much did you pay for your dishwasher unit?
Posted on Feb 17, 2007
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 19, 2010 | Maytag MDB9600A Jetclean II Built-in...
May 07, 2010 | Maytag 24 in. MDBH950AW Built-in...
Feb 05, 2010 | Maytag 24 in. MDB5651A Built-in Dishwasher
Nov 07, 2009 | Maytag 24 in. MDB9750AW Dishwasher
Jun 20, 2009 | Whirlpool GU2400XTP Built-in Dishwasher
Jun 05, 2009 | Maytag 24 in. MDB7601AWS Stainless Steel...
Jun 01, 2009 | Maytag 24 in. MDB5601AWS Stainless Steel...
Apr 08, 2009 | Maytag MDB5100A Dishwasher
Mar 22, 2009 | Maytag 24 in. MDBH955AW Built-in...
Sep 11, 2007 | Maytag 24 in. MDB5600A Jetclean II...
4,650 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: