LCD stands for liquid crystal display
These types of displays have been around for awhile and are commonly used with computers.
One reason for their big popularity is the ability to produces a better picture than CRT monitors but also being much thinner.
- Low Energy Consumption – LCD monitors use very low amounts of power. This is why it is very commonly used in battery powered devices.
- LCD screens also reduce the amount of glare on the screen which can be very beneficial if your TV is in a room with lots of light.
- If an image is left on the screen too long, LCD screens are less likely to experience the image being burned into the screen. If this does occur, it’s easier to repair than other types of TV’s.
- The viewing angle of an LCD TV is typically not as great as Plasma but the difference is not great enough to make a huge difference.
- LCD TV’s can sometimes get dead pixels which aren’t typically covered under warranty. Although they are very small, they can become very annoying.
- Brightness levels aren’t as great as Plasma and it’s not possible to display darks quite as dark.
technology hasn’t been as widely used as LCD in previous years but has become very popular in large HDTV’s. Although they have historically been more expensive than LCD TV’s, they are becoming more comparable in price.
- Brightness and color are the major advantages of Plasma TV’s. They produce rich colors along with very deep blacks.
- Their wide viewing angles allow more people to be able to watch TV comfortably.
- The pixels of Plasma TV’s are lit individually unlike LCD screens. Because of this feature, the pixels can be completely turned off to display truck black colors.
- The lifespan of a Plasma TV is typically shorter than other types of TV’s. The lifespan can be extended by turning down the brightness of the screen.
- Plasma TV’s are more susceptible to screen burn-in where an image is “burnt” onto the screen when left on the screen too long such as a network logo in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Plasma TV’s require a panel of glass to cover it. This glass can reflect light and make it difficult to see the picture. If placed in a dark room, this typically isn’t an issue.