- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
As you say the system is 4 years old update the bios your download link is here! IMP. Be sure to plug in the battery and it should be charges above 10 % and the system should be connected to the mains power supply also ensure there will not be a power outage during the update process this will resolve the issue 100 % Dont forget to say thanks!
Dell portables use a sensing wire in the barrel of the adapter plug to determine the wattage of the ac adapter. If that fine wire in the center of the plug is bent or broken, the system cannot ID the adapter and the battery charger is disabled.
SO, first try a known good AC adapter for a D-Series Dell (You might be able to check with Geek Squad at a local Best Buy if you don'e have access to another ac adapter) If a known good ac adapter works, then replace the ac adapter.
If a known good AC adapter does the same thing then the fault is in the charging circuit of the motherboard and the motherboard will need to be replaced.
-check the system battery information and charger information of the computer; restart the computer, while the computer is booting up, press F2 repeatedly; check "battery info" -if it stated ac adapter = unknown device ; update the BIOS (-visit support.dell.com
NOTE:other computers may have different BIOS, if it is not the same you may have to consult manufacturer -click on drivers and downloads -click or choose by service tag -download the BIOS and install it on the computer) -check information after updating; if same message AC adapter = unknown device; call manufaturer for a replacement AC adapter, if status has changed it is a battery problem or motherboard, contact manufacturer to test battery
the Dell AC adapter has a sensing pin so the bios can determine the wattage of the adapter. If the system cannot ID the adapter, the battery charger circuit is disabled. You'll need a functional DELL ac adapter to get the battery to charge
There are different types of Dell power adapters, some of them put out different amounts of power. While it is possible that the battery is faulty, it is more likely, given your error message that the adaptor is wrong. If you got it from Dell, you can call them and they will exchange it.
The diagnostic Error is a False positive you can ignore the diag error as the LCD is functional. If the battery is not recognized in the BIOS or you get an warning the AC adapter is not recognized, then you may have either a damaged AC adapter sensing pin (Fine wire in middle of ac adapter connection to Laptop) or a problem with the charging unit on the motherboard.
If the sensing pin is damaged or the ac adpater is not sending the right signal to the system, the battery charger will not work. SO if you have another Dell D series AC adapter, you can try it 1st. If the battery is 18 mos to 2 years old, you might see if it is IDs in BIOS and if it indicates battery state. Also the battery should have a test button and 5 LEDs on it. If the 1st 3rd and 5th LED flash the battery is bad. ANy any come on solid, then it is a % of charge, each LED = 20%
If you end up replacing hardware, then it will most likely be in this order:
If you don't get any errors when you startup on battery then all you have to do is call Dell. Get work order number and send them the laptop and adapter. They are very fast. I sent a laptop to them last month and I had it back in 3 days! I was surprised.
The Dell 1501 ac adapter (possibly other Dell’s as well) has
been known to be problematic because of its lack of a plug to jack secure
fit.You will notice that the plug can
all too easily be pulled from the jack, as opposed to other systems where the
plug fits more securely onto the jack.The plug and jack combination is poorly designed so that over time, the
plug will come unseated depending on how much movement the machine is subjected
to.This will result in power error
messages or outright power-up failure. So before assuming you have a faulty
adapter, make sure that it is not just a loose plug that is causing the
problem.If you look inside the jack,
you will notice that there is a 3mm region of non-conductive material nearest
the surface of the jack. Use a strip of standard electrical tape 3mm wide and
long enough and wrap it around the base of the plug (you may need more than one
layer of tape to get a good fit).I
have used this method to secure my plug and it has served me well. If the tape
comes undone over time, just simply replace it.A more “elegant” method would be to use an “O” ring of the
appropriate size (about 6mm) around the base of the plug in lieu of the tape.