Question about Computers & Internet
Okay, so, in a short summary... The laptop boots up only sometimes. I switch on the AC power and it shows that the battery is charging. When I switch it on, it shows the HP logo and then goes black. Sometimes, it loads Windows and goes black. Sometimes it shows the pointer for a while after that before going black.
If I shut it down directly, it shows the options to start normally or repair. If I switch it off after booting Windows and going black, it shows the options for Safe Mode.
I have also noticed that the battery stops charging in this process, and the next time I restart the AC power, it shows it is charging. I noticed this problem and tried to remove the battery at startup. After that, it booted up quite correctly. Then I slid the battery in.
How to get rid of all this?
I would try the following:
1. Remove the battery completely. If the computer boots properly several times in a row, then the battery may be causing the power supply to do strange things.
2. If you have experience removing laptop components, try removing the hard drive. Because you say the screen goes black (I assume the system powers off) sometimes after the HP logo, I doubt its Windows or a software issue.
3. If HP has a diagnostic CD you can boot to, try that.
4. It may be the power supply acting up. If it charges the battery, and if you can boot to Windows with the battery, try getting a new power supply.
5. Otherwise, it may be the motherboard of the laptop.
Posted on Nov 28, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 18, 2011 | Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 Notebook
Aug 27, 2011 | Toshiba Satellite Pro L300 Notebook
Apr 26, 2011 | Dell Inspiron M5030 Laptop
Jan 27, 2011 | Toshiba Satellite P200-13Z Laptop AC Power...
Oct 26, 2010 | Gateway Computers & Internet
Mar 06, 2010 | HP Compaq Presario 2100 Laptop
Nov 27, 2009 | HP Computers & Internet
Dec 04, 2008 | IBM ThinkPad T40 2373 Notebook
Nov 28, 2008 | Dell Latitude D600 Notebook
Aug 10, 2007 | HP Compaq nc6320 Notebook
May 29, 2017 | Dell Computers & Internet
May 29, 2017 | Norton Computers & Internet
486 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!