I was playing a movie and my subwoofer stopped working. I noticed a light burning smell. Does this mean the amp is blown? I wanted to see if it blew a fuse. The manual says there is one in the sub but I can't find it.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Your nose and eyes should lead you to the faulty part for this, once you get inside the subwoofer. Anything that burns up producing the smell will possibly leave a visual trace. But your nose will lead to the part that smells. Replace it and see what happens!
I had almost the same problem. I was Playing music and my speakers kept on shorting out, i smelled burning wires and i look in back of my subwoofers and there melted. i just simply replaced the wires exept with a thicker 14 Gauge wire. But i dont know if your subwoofer is damaged or not. but i would try changing the wires.
Some subwoofers can sense the signal on their input and will only start when there's enough signal for long enough time for them to turn on the amp.
Try seting the "subwoofer signal out" on your reciever a bit higher, see if it does the trick, if not, try it with some other source (e.g. an mp3 or CD/DVD player) plugged directly into the subwoofer. If it still doesn't work, there's some other problem with your sub (bad connection inside sub, sub amplifier problems, maybe there's another fuse for the speaker itself, try to check it out).
If it works well with an alternate signal source, the problem might be either in reciever or the signal cable that you use, but could also be something else.
I HAVE 4 PS212 AND FROM WHAT YOU ARE DISCRIBING SOUNDS SIMILIAR TO WHAT HAPPENED TO ME. PLAYING THE SUB AT FULL VOLUME AND CLIPPING OCCURED NOT KNOWING THAT THE FAINT SMELL WAS THE VOICE COIL BURNING AND CONTINUING TO PLAY UNTIL KNOW SOUND LESSON LEARNED BUY A BIGGER SUB SYSTEM OR REPLACE YOUR SUB WOOFER.
IN MY OPPINION THIS IS A VERY GOOD PRODUCT WHICH I HAVE BEEN ABUSEING FOR MONTHS . SO QUIT WHINEING AND PAY YOUR DUES.
Sounds like you may have terminally damaged that unit. As far as the other one being okay I could give a million reasons. A simple one being that maybe your signal was stronger on one channel. Get it checked out at your local repair shop or warranty it out if you can.
I can't seem to locate the specs in my files or on line. From what I remember, you can use/build a sealed enclosure for each sub ranging from 1.5 to 2.5 cu.ft per sub. The larger boxes will play lower bass than the smaller ones at the expense of overall power handling and some efficiency. Ported boxes get a little more difficult but with some trial and error, they can be very effective. Even more so when tuned by the listeners own ear. Let me know if you need specifics on how to do this. Also General specs of your sub can be determined by knowledgeable audiophiles with a brief inspection. Perhaps a local electronics shop (if available) could help in this regard. Good luck and let me know if I can help further.
The amps do have issues that is for sure - That is where I step in - I can repair your amp and make it so it won't burn up (catch on fire) again. When the amp goes it burns a hole in the board - but it can be repaired. I have done several hundred and all customers are happy :) ... Look for my add here and also on ebay
I have the same problem. My guess is that the subwoofer coil is messed up. You MIGHT have to get it recoiled. But before you do any of that get someone with a sub to play their sub in your car, if it works.... then your sub is messed up, if not.....then your amp is messed up ( trial and error ). Today i noticed my subs rubber surrounding is crooked, that may be the problem for me. Also when I press down on the sub it makes a sticking sound, like something came loose. So once i get everything opened and out ill let you all know the solution. Good Luck!