Question about Western Digital 250GB MyBook External USB 2.0 250 GB Hard Drive
Well I am using a 250GB external Hard Drive hooked up via USB from my Laptop XP machine and is working excellenty but yesterday while working the drive just stopped reading.
I unplugged it and I hook it back up to my machine.
G:\ is not accessible. the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
I ran a check disk and it fixed an error under xp. The drive letter shows up but the drive size shows 0kb.
How can I solve the problem
You most likely need to delete the partition on your external hard drive, then create a new one and format it again. You will lose the data on your external hard drive.
1. Go to the Control Panel, click on Administrative Tools, click on Computer Management, then Disk Management. (You will need Administrators rights to carry out the following tasks)
2. On the lower Right Panel select the External drive, this will be displayed as Disk 1, Right click on this drive (MAKE SURE YOU DON"T SELECT THE C: DRIVE which will be displayed as Disk 0)
and then Delete the partition.
3. This drive should then be Unallocated, Right Click on this drive and create a New Partition.
4. Then select Primary partition.
5. Check that the maxium disk size matches close to 240000(MB) you about 10+MB in the formating process
6. Click Assign the following drive letter (let the computer select this.
7. Chick Format the partition with the following settings
File System = NTFS
Allocatin unir size = Default
Volume label = "name of your choice eg. BACHUP DATA"
DON'T TICK Perform a quick format & Enable file & folder compression
8. Click Finish
Posted on Nov 27, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 18, 2015 | SimpleTech SimpleDrive 250 GB External USB...
Nov 05, 2010 | Iomega Silver Series External 250GB...
Jun 20, 2010 | Western Digital 250GB MyBook External USB...
Sep 07, 2009 | SimpleTech 250GB USB2.0 7200 RPM External...
Jul 12, 2009 | Computers & Internet
May 29, 2009 | Western Digital 250GB MyBook External USB...
Feb 22, 2009 | Beyond Micro Mobile / 250GB / 7200 / 8MB /...
Jan 12, 2009 | Western Digital WD2500JS 250GB SATA2...
May 05, 2008 | Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini 160GB External USB...
Dec 06, 2007 | SimpleTech SimpleDrive 250GB, 7200RPM,...
218 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: