- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Does the computer read other dvds? If it doesn't, then the optical drive probably has a problem with the lens tracking. This could be repaired but isn't worth it. A new SATA DVD writer can be purchased for less than $30. (Or you can get an external DVD drive (with a USB connection).)
Most DVD drives are also CD drives, and it sounds like the DVD part is broken, you need to replace the DVD drive, this is done simply by buying a new one, I recommend Newegg.com ( if your unsure search exactly what you already have) then opening your case (tower) and just unplugging old one and plugging new one in, it really is very doable for even a novice.
update the driver file for it....right click the drive, click properties, it will give you a description of it...go to the tab that has the driver file description and click update driver...let it go online...it will get the correct generic driver for your dvd-ram drive.
A friend of mine had the same problem, we couldn't get his dvd writer to work. It would read the CD but it couldn't burn dvds/cds. We had to buy a new DVD writer. You can get a really good one for around $60. An asus one is good. Check to make sure your dvd writer is plugged in usually by IDE cable and power cable. Newer ones might have SATA. Get a new one and unmount the old one and place the new one where the old one was. You'll need an antistatic wrist strap to ground yourself.
try downloading codex for your operating system, or use your hardware and software updates.if your using something like dvd clone try updating its firmwarei hope this helps and doesn,t confuse you if you need more help just repost i,ll post links , just include you type of operating system
we may need more details but you can try this for now
1. are you sure you have a cd writer or a dvd writer (writer = burner)--- check the front edge of your cd/dvd unit and look for words like "writer" "burner" or writeable next to the word dvd or compact disc... keep in mind not all cd/dvd writer can write (burn) cd or dvds, some may burn cd but not dvds.
2. is your cd/dvd unit compatible with the media (cd or dvd blank disk) you are trying to use.. depending your cd/dvd especifications your dvd/cd drive is compatible with certain types of cd or dvds that are writeable.
3. is the cd/dvd a writeable cd/dvd and is compatible with your cd/dvd drive? for instance.. if you are using a blank dvd and your cd/dvd drive only burn cd/s and read dvd and cd you won't be able to write to the blank dvd.
4. are you trying to burn a dvd in a corporate computer.?? as a user (not an administrator) of your corporate computer you may not have priviledges that will allow them to burn dvd/cd's even you your drive and your media are compatible.
the error that you get
the brand and model of the computer you're using
the type of media you're using
yours is a dvd reader and writer.....(i.e)it can read both cd and dvd and write both......now due to some problems dvd reader has been failed.....now you have to give that repair.....mostly it can be repairable......otherwisw if you warranty you give that and take new one from where you have buyed it......otherwise you have to buy a new one.....no other solution for this.... i am software engineer...and i have experience.....try this.....it will work 100%.....
unfortunately it's a sure sign your drive is faulty, the noises are the laser trying to read the tracks, cd's can be easier read than dvd's because the tracks are wider apart, whereas dvd's data is packed tighter together and the reading is more difficult for a faulty laser, you will need to replace it or buy an external usb writer.