Notecard sized paper jam - can not find in usual spots
I was trying to print on notecard (3x5) sized paper. Of course it jammed, but I can not even find it in the usual spots (under toner, back of machine, etc). Do I need to take the printer apart to dislodge the paper? Any suggesteions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert who has answered 1,000 questions.
Re: notecard sized paper jam - can not find in usual...
1. Turn the printer off and open the access cover. 2. Look for any obstructions in the paper path and remove them if necessary. (It is possible to move the carrier assembly with the power off.) 3. Turn the printer on, load some paper, and press the Form Feed button. 4. Watch the paper as it feeds through and try to determine where the jam is occurring. 5. Check to see if all the rollers are turning.
If all the rollers are turning, there may be something in the feed path that you can't see. Go to step 6. If not, there is probably a feed motor or a gear problem and the printer may require service. 6. If the paper is jamming under the carrier assembly, you may be able to fix it using the manual feed slot. 7. Turn the printer off. 8. Take a #10 envelope and feed it through the left side of the manual feed slot until it comes right through the printer to the back of the exit rollers. 9. Move it up and down first, and then slowly move it over to the right side. If something is stuck under the black guide plate, this may work it loose.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Hi Good day!!! Here are some steps to remove paper jam
1. Switch off the printer and disconnect the power supply. Allow any residual charge to fade away before putting your hands on the metal tools inside the chassis.
2. Pin down the exact location of the jam. The three hot spots for a jam are before a sheet completely leaves the paper tray, between the feed tray and the print carriage or between the print carriage and the output tray.
3. Take off the front paper tray. If the sheet jammed around here, you should be able to see most of the paper.
4. Pull on the sheet with both hands and steady pressure. Don't tug too quickly. You might rip the paper, leaving a chunk of it deeper in the machine.
5. Open the back panel to reach paper jammed between the feed tray area and the print carriage of the all-in-one printer. Carefully remove the jammed paper from the machine.
6. Use the carriage access door to get at a jam further inside. You may need to move the print carriage out of your way to get at the jam.
7. Return any access panels to their closed and locked positions. Plug your printer back in and flip the power switch.
Thank you for using FixYa Don't forget to vote thanks!!!
Some printers have a slot in the exit tray to use for envelopes and cards, if yours does not it may not support printing of cards. Please provide the model number and/or check the HP website for information.
Access cover is the cover where open to replace the cartridges , once you open that check for any paper stuck ....if still cant find carry with envelope procedure in the troubleshooting steps given earlier , Its place were we are ready to help people ......
check your paper size setting on your print menu. i had this problem when i set the paper size smaller than the printer is able to handle (3x5 card) ... i just switched to 4x6 and don't have any problems.
Have you tried to run copies from both paper trays? Will it jam in the same spot with both trays? If one works, but the other jams, it may be as simple as making sure the paper tray is set to the correct paper size? Is it set up in the paper tray as LTR, but the tray is saying LTR-R on the display. If so just change the paper size knob to the correct size. Also, if it stops in the same spot with all of the trays, look for something blocking it. Also, try to cheat the side door and make sure everthing is turning correctly.. Good Luck...