Question about Kenmore 80882 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave humming I know - teach it the words! A couple of weeks ago, I posted a question about a blown fuse on a Kenmore 89942. I have since replaced the fuse and the micro is working fine. But I remembered when the fuse blew, I was defrosting something using the defrost button. Since then, I've noticed that the micro sesms to strain, or hum louder at times during the defrost cycle. I know it cycles on & off by design, but it sounds like it's straining too much. Would this be a symptom of something going bad? Thanks again, Ed

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Kenmore Master
  • 9,125 Answers

It's possible that it is a sign or trouble, but it will make seemingly odd noises when it is switched on and off. For the most part, you can wait until you see more definitive evidence of trouble. Watchful waiting is probably in order here for the next week or so.

Posted on Jan 07, 2007


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Microwave runs but does not heat up food

On many newer microwaves the control panel can stay lit even if the fuse
is blown. (Cartridge fuse inside microwave). If the microwave panel is functional but
no humming this would be a good indication of that.

Make sure power is off before replacing the fuse. Be aware the capacitors may still hold
a good charge and avoid touching the leads to them. (They look like metal cans with tabs
usually). The fuse will be an automotive style fuse with a ceramic middle. These are
available for a couple of dollars at any appliance parts store, and possibly radio shack.
The rating is stamped on the metal ends (250 V= two hundred fifty volts) (4A= four amps)
Make sure to use exact amperage and equal or higher voltage rating. These are a slow blow

If the microwave is humming but not cooking then I would suspect the Magnetron tube
has failed. Many times the cost of the replacement doesn't justify it's purchase.
Hope this helps.

Mar 05, 2011 | GE JVM1850 1000 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Kenmore Spacemaker Fuse Blown

its either a 10-15-or20 ceramic fuse and its marked on the side of the fuse or take it to the hardware store they have this type of special fuse.and they can locate the rating for you

Oct 04, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Maytag microwave hums and then internal fuse blows. I replaced the blown fuse and started heating cycle, microwave hummed again and the fuse is again blown.

It sounds to me as though your magnetron is shorted. If you have an ohmmeter, DISCONNECT POWER, unplug the connector on the magnetron, and make two tests. From pin to pin should measure less than an ohm. This is the filament. From either lead to the frame of the magnetron should measure infinite. Do not touch the lead tips while making this measurement (makes false reading). If the magnetron checks okay, perhaps you have a shorted capacitor, or diode.

Oct 03, 2009 | Emerson MW8985W Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Sears Kenmore Microwave Model 401.80086700


Youcan see that turntable at the down side there is a screw which is missing because i m also having a same problem but now once you change that screw which is losse it will work

Thanks & Regards

May 24, 2009 | Kenmore 80412 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Kenmore 89942 Microwave no longer heating food

Grass...I'd go for checking the fuses and the thermosensor...a black plastic button with two wires coming out of it that is about the diameter of a dime and 3/8 inch thick. If either is open, no power to the magnetron. Your unit may have a diagram inside. Have a look. The magnetron...? I doubt it.

Dec 16, 2007 | Kenmore 80882 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Blown fuse

Be doubly sure your microwave is unplugged first, of course! Be sure the fuse is not loose in the holder. If you can rotate it in the holder easily with just a thumb and finger, then it's too loose and the holder should also be replaced. That looseness causes a heat buildup, which makes the fuse melt open inside over time. If the new fuse blows as soon as you hit START then you likely have a shorted high-voltage capacitor. If it blows again a few seconds or minutes after you hit START, then you likely have a bad high-voltage transformer or magnetron. It's not inherently unsafe to replace a fuse, as long as you heed the safety rules. The microwave does contain and prodcue voltages that can be instantly lethal. Feel free to see my safety info via my listing here on FixYa:

Dec 29, 2006 | Kenmore 80882 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Kenmore 80882 Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

228 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Kenmore Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9125 Answers

Steve Allison
Steve Allison

Level 3 Expert

5569 Answers

Jaime Hernandez

Level 3 Expert

2337 Answers

Are you a Kenmore Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides