Question about Maytag MMC5000 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Whirpool Microwave My microwave just stop working,No power at all.I've opened it and found a blown fuse.I replaced the fuse w/ the same rating but when i power on the fuse blown again.I can't find any defective parts inside.Pls. help,I'm also a technician.Thank you very much.

Posted by on

  • Renato Jardiolin Jan 06, 2007

    Ok,Thanks for the quick response.When i hit the start botton it runs for about 2 seconds then stops,no power at all,Fuse blown again.So the capacitor is defective.Is it worth if i changes the capacitor or
    i just buy a new microwave.BTW how much is the capacitor?Thank you..

  • Renato Jardiolin Jan 08, 2007

    Thank you for the response...



1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Maytag Master
  • 9,098 Answers

You say when you "power on" the fuse blows? If that means when you hit the START button to cook, then you probably have a shorted high-voltage capacitor. If you mean it blows when you plug it in, you probably have a shorted door switch. Your microwave may also have a wiring diagram pasted on the inside of the outer wrapper or in an envelope. That will help in your tests.

Posted on Jan 05, 2007

  • William Miller
    William Miller Jan 06, 2007

    It's more likely to be your high-voltage transformer, but you seem qualified to do the diagnosis.

    Here's a good place to order the parts:

  • William Miller
    William Miller Jan 08, 2007

    If the fuse blows immediately when you hit START, then it's the HV capacitor.

    Since you say it blows 2 seconds after you hit START, it's probably the HV transformer.

    To order parts and see exploded views, try



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

The microwave has no lights, power or anything. The socket works but it's like the microwave is receiving no power.

You probably have a blown fuse inside your microwave.

Unplug your microwave and turn it around and remove the screws holding cover on and then remove the cover. Look for where the power cord goes into the back of the unit and follow the black wire from the cord to where it ends. It should stop an either a circuit board or a fuse holder. Make sure that you replace the fuse with the same amperage fuse as what you take out. You will find the amp rating stamped on one of the silver collars on each end of the fuse. Good luck!

Mar 06, 2015 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

GE microwave oven model#JVM1441BH04 when you close door on switch activates and oven comes on. Only goes off when door is opened.


the problem your are experiencing with your microwave oven is a failed interlock switch.
Be careful when closing your microwave door. Slamming the door too hard is one of the main reasons that the interlock switch is damaged.

Slamming the microwave door shut can easily blow the microwave fuse, but they can also blow due to problems with the interlock switches.
A microwave oven will not function until the fuse is replaced.

Instruction on how to replace fuse on microwave.

1. Unplug the microwave from the electrical outlet to prevent electrocution. Place the microwave in a well-lit area to be able to locate the fuse.

2. Use a screwdriver to remove the outer cabinet of the microwave, and follow the power cord to the fuse. The fuse is located 2 to 3 inches within the microwave and is attached to the power board.

3. Observe the fuse to determine if it is blown. Blown glass fuses will produce burn marks on nearby surfaces, or the internal fuse wire will be black and melted, while ceramic fuses show no outward appearance of being blown.

4. Determine if a ceramic fuse is blown by testing it with an ohmmeter. If the ohmmeter reads zero ohms, your fuse is not blown. Other readings on the ohmmeter show that your fuse is blown.

5. Replace the blown fuse by popping it out of its holder, and snapping a new fuse in its place. Tighten the fuse clips by squeezing them together with your fingers.

6. Replace the outer cabinet of the microwave, and plug the microwave back into the electrical outlet. Test the microwave to see if it's working properly.


Sep 22, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I have a microwave (Emerson Model#MW8111 SS and after removeing the cover to determine why I am not getting power I found a switch in line with the nuetral wire that is some sort of Klixon. It appears to...

The thermal fuse cuts off power to the microwave if the microwave overheats. To determine if the thermal fuse has blown, use a multimeter to test it for continuity. If the fuse does not have continuity, replace it. The thermal fuse cannot be reset-if the fuse is blown, it must be replaced. (Caution: The microwave oven can store thousands of volts of electricity in its high voltage capacitor, even after the microwave oven has been unplugged. Due to the potential for electric shock, it is extremely dangerous to replace the electronic components in a microwave. Only a licensed technician should replace the thermal fuse.)

Jan 12, 2018 | Emerson Microwave Ovens

3 Answers


There are two fuses in a microwave oven, and for the non-heating problem the problem is the high voltage fuse, incapsulated between the transfo and the magnetron. This supports up to 5000V and usually rated something like 0.65A/0.7A/0.8A and even 1A.
When you open the capsule, you'll see it sitting there between its two connectors, and you'll notice the filament inside the glace is broken. Buy a new one and your machine will work like a horse.
NOTE: Try to get the same ratings fuse, or else the oven will smoke and smoke the house with it, so be careful.
The other fuse is smaller, and usually ceramic one, which can be found on the PCB, if that goes, you should get no power at all to the machine. If not sure, let a professional do the job, it's safer.

Apr 09, 2010 | Westpoint TV-201 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My spacemaker stopped working and no panel lights. It's not the circuit breaker. Any ideas? model JVM140001

Could be the fuse inside the microwave is blown. You will need to unplug the microwave and remove the front control panel. Inisde the microwave housing you will need to trace the electrical wire coming into the unit. Usually you will find the in-line fuse located on the black power wire. You can pull the connectors off the fuse and test it with a continuity tester. If the fuse is blown replace it but make sure you use the same amp rated fuse as you removed. If the fuse blows again then there is an electrical short somewhere in the microwave.

Dec 24, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Not heating

Remove the outer cover (pull the power plug first) and look for a blown fuse. If found, replace the high voltage diode and the 'stirrer' (a fan-like device located within the sheet metal wave-guide near the opening in the cooking cavity where the microwaves come into it). This stirrer has a plastic bearing that frequently arcs over and permanently shorts out the microwaves which blows the fuse. If no blown fuse is found, look for a loose or defective door-interlock micro-switch.

Nov 17, 2009 | Kenmore 61652 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave stopped working when i pushed the start button

Yes. The white inside the glass that you are describing is a blown fuse. To find out what size fuse it is look around the base or top of the fuse. You will see engraved something like "125V 5A. You can pick these up at Home Depot or Lowes in the electrical isle. You can also type and enter the word "fuse" and then the size it is. (125V 5A) If you have found this information at all helpfull, please rate my solution. Thanks D. Lange

Apr 23, 2009 | LG Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My emerson microwave has stopped heating up but appears fine


If your microwave oven doesn't seem to work at all, check these:

Fuses Usually, when your microwave oven doesn't work it all, the internal fuse (thermal fuse) is blown. This fuse protects both you and the oven. When it blows, you need to have a qualified appliance repair technician replace it.

Door switch If the fuse isn't the problem, check the door hooks and the door-release button. When these are broken, the door switch doesn't activate, so the oven can't work.

Please do rate the solution as "FixYa" if found useful and revert for further assistance.


Mar 31, 2009 | Emerson Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Terminal connector to the door switch overheated & fuse blown

Just cleaning is not enought.The terminal is loose and that isusually the problem most of the time.Replace them with new ones and I think you be happy.

Mar 12, 2009 | Panasonic NN-P794SF Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Maytag MMC5000 Microwave Oven Logo

100 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Maytag Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9098 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers


Level 2 Expert

225 Answers

Are you a Maytag Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides