My left speaker (one without volume control knob) only works at certain volumes from the speaker. It is generally faint, but at about 3/4 volume max it works and about 1/8th volume max it comes in crystal clear, anything else it is barley there. I doubt they are still under warrenty, so any way it could possible be fixed would help. Thanks.
P.S. Tried everything logical, (headphones work fine, ran the diagnostics for the audio and even then, didnt come up good with the speakers and the lady saying "left speaker, right speaker") Any help would be appreciaed.
I have this same problem and it isn't the volume switch because I have two sets of these and tested a different known good set of satellite speakers and got the same results. I changed out the subwoofer and everything worked. So I am guessing there is an issue with the left channel coming out of the subwoofer.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: left speaker not working
this sounds like a defective volume switch to me. If you're handy with tools and have a soldering iron you can probably pick up a suitable replacement switch for $5 and spend 30 minutes installing it.
Or for around $20 on Ebay you could buy another working unit. I wouldn't really recommend spending much time or money trying to fix them and if you do buy another set you can keep your old ones for parts :)
Let us know if you need more help and don't forget to rate the posting.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If you remove the knob and Put a very small amount of WD40 down at the base this can help clean and lubricate the Knob inside. This sometimes cures the problem. If not the volume knob will need to be replaced i included a link to a page that shows The knob and it is just 2 wires. The volume knob can be picked up at a radio shack.
buy some turner cleaner or electrical contact cleaner(radio shack) with the power off take the volume knob off spray into the area where the knob goes(the little metal post) turn the post back and forth with your fingers or needel nose plyers several times (over time dust and dirt build up makes a bad connection) you may have to do this a couple of times dont worry this stuff drys realy fast this should do the trick
You did not mention if the units are new. So we will start off by saying, if new, you can contact Motorola (Giant Intl) at 800-638-5119 for warranty instructions.
If the radio is more than one year old:
1) Check the mic hold to be certain their is no debris, tape or sticker covering the hole(s) on the transmitting radios.
2) Used canned air to clean the volume shaft area (volume potentiometer).
3) Double check your are on the same freq/code. If you were on a nearby freq. the radios could possibly talk poorly at short range.
4) Trade batteries with a known good unit and see if a good battery solves the problem.
5) Try running the radio at 3/4s volume and see if it is an improvement. Sometimes maxing out the volume can cause various problems with the radio. As a general rule, it is best to not operate for a long period of time at max volume.
6) Check your speaker area (holes) for debris. Clean with a gentle vacuum if needed. Do not poke anything through the holes, it could damage the speaker.
If none of these tips help, your radio(s) with the poor volume will need replaced. Parts and schematics were never released for this model.
1. In bottom right of your taskbar is an icon of a small speaker, click on that and make sure the slider bar is at 100%.
2. Click the windows button in lower left corner and then click on control panel. Then click Hardware and Sound, then click adjust system volume and make sure those are at max volume and not muted.
3. Depending on your system there may be software that installed to manage your sound card or onboard sound, if there is usually there will be an icon representing it on the lower right of your taskbar. Open that and make sure sound levels are set to max and not muted as well.
4. Make sure you plugged the speakers into the right jack in the back, sometimes when plugged into the wrong hole you can faintly hear sound but thats it, USUALLY its the light green jack you want but that can vary (some sound card/connections will have small icons by each of the colored jacks as well though they are usually faint and kinda hard to see...they can help make sure speakers are plugged into the right spot)
5. Its possible your speakers are just old or defective and simply need replaced.
Looks like your volume control switch is not working on the left side, you can check it by tapping the knob on the volume control and sound will come out on left side.
The only way to get the sound again is to replace the volume control or pull out the volume control and open it up to clean the contacts in it.
mcdevito75 here, Try to increase the volume from your keyboard, Then adjust the volume at the speakers, there should be only 1 volume control on 1 speaker to control them both, also check your connections at both speakers.
That is a dirty pot switch.. The volume adjusting pot gets dirty.. Two things to try..
1.) With the unit off - spinn the volume min to max many many times at a rapid pace.. This sometimes will displace the debris in the pot..
If that does not work --
2.) Get some "tuner cleaner" in a spray can.. At Radio Shack or a similar store.. Lay the radio on its back so the volume knob is facing up.. Pull the knob off carefully.. Use short controlled bursts of the spray.. A few sprays and spin the knob min to max several times and repeat..
PLease dont forget to rate for your free question..