Intermittently the power button constant orange fan full speed
7 days ago when i went turn the cumputer on after maybe giving a little blow where i saw house dust the fan came on at full speed and the computer failed to start and orange power button stayed on. Eventually i can get the computer to start with a green light and the computer is working in its normal highly efficient way. When i hit restart on my computer i am left with a constant green light and the monitor light is yellow I have taken out memory cards and put them back in. I have contacted dell but they wanted to undertake a £25 BIOS test and Then maybe charge me £70 to repair the switch My computer is 4 years old and more may go wrong Can just leave my machine on allthe time or have you any ideas of how i might remedy my problem thank you dermot Ireland
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
It appears you have a faulty CPU fan and it is causing the CPU to overheat and shut down. I suggest you replace the CPU fan. remove any dust from the heatsink and put new heatsink compound on the CPU/heatsink.
make sure the cpu has secure dust free connection and thermal grease you might need to replace the psu if you have added any extra devices to your computer you might need more power voltage or it might be faulty
also check all leads from motherboard to hard drive for secure dust free connections and ram modules cmos battery for dust free secure connections
Please Clean Processor Fan By removing dust from the cooling went ( make sure the air should be transfer through the cooling went from the fan)
Then Apply the Good heat sink Paste on the processor then try
In this process please don't touch the processor fan while the sys is powered on or running
Change your BIOS battery.
I have an old Shuttle XPC sn41g2. It's been running almost constantly since it was new. About a year ago it started to be difficult, it was difficult to start and sometimes I had to try several times before it started. At the end I had to disconnect and reconnect the mains supply everytime i had to reboot the PC. Then one day I discovered that the prosessor was running at the lowest standard frequency so I went to the BIOS to set it right, did so and rebooted, and the prosessor stil wouldn't run right. After some thought I changed the BIOS battery, went to the BIOS, resat all settings, then it rebooted normally and since it has been running like new.
Giving the fact that your fan is constantly running and you had an electrical spike you should take it in to be looked at. If it overheats then the motherboard will go and it will cost more to fix it than to buy a new one.
Don't forget to rate this solution before you log off.
have u tried to unplug the power cord and open up the case aand unplug the power supply from the motherboard and then pressing the power button then plug the powersupply back into the motherboard and pluging in the computer and see what happens please keep me posted so i can help you more if needed ok best regards mike
I had my Optiplex GX520 at work shut down abruptly every time I turned it on it in the morning. This would always happen within the first 30 minutes. I would then get the flashing amber light. After starting the PC again, it would stay on all day (over 8 hours) without shutting down again. I found that the power supply was over-heating. Two things need to be done. First, in order to get the amber light to stop flashing, un-plug the computer from the wall for 30 seconds then plug it back in. OR hold down the power button for 10 seconds or so. The light should stop flashing. Then press the power button again and the PC should start. But why did it abruptly shut down in the first place? The power supply has a fan-speed-control circuit in it to keep it running slow and quiet when the power supply is cool. It gives the power supply lower voltage when the power supply is cold and higher voltage as the power supply gets warmer. This circuit either is not working correctly or the fan getting sticky over the years and needing more voltage to get it moving when it is cold. I found that the fan was not starting at all and causing the power supply to over-heat. To keep the fan moving at full speed, I cut the wire to it and wired it to the +12v output directly. Not the fan goes at full speed all the time. And yes, it is nosier.But at work it doesn’t matter. The best solution would be to just get another power supply from Dell if possible. Or buy a +12v, 70mm fan from Digi-Key and replace the original.