- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
that fan is a cooling fan but not for the food,it's to cool down the electronics in the oven like the clock assy. so it's doing it's job,that's why i tell people not to use the self clean feature on stoves or ovens,the temp. gets up to 1000 degrees and it will sooner or later damage the electronics in the machine,so if you're gonna use it use it after the holidays,i see people use it the day before thanksgiving,the oven stops working and parts have to be ordered or if it's an older oven you can't get parts anymore and they can't cook so that fan is a good thing.happy holidays.you have to set the oven on a low setting just to keep the oven warm.like 200 or 225,also some ovens have a warming draw under the oven door,if you have this make sure you clean it first,i've seen them filled with dust because nobody ever uses it.here i googled this for you
Probably the cooling fan. There is a cabinet thermostat on most ovens these days (Especially wall or underbench models) to keep the cooling fan running after the cooking has finished and oven turned off. This fan will run for a few minutes to cool down the outside of the oven so it doesn't burn / discolour the surrounding cabinet or workbench. If the fan stays on all the time, I would say that the thermostat has probably jammed in the run or on position.
Your magnetron is overheating, and its attached thermostat is doing its job to protect the magnetron by shutting off the power to the oven until it cools back down to a safe temperature.
An overheating magnetron
can be due to:
oven without cover(s) in place
magnetron installed in oven
an old or
otherwise failing magnetron
power line voltage (should be 110-125VAC)
foods low in
moisture (popcorn & bacon, e.g. - add 1/2 cup of water in rear
oven when cooking such foods)
inoperable cooling fan or hood vent exhaust fan
foam weatherstripping seals in air ducts or on outside cover
vents (dust, animal nest debris, insufficient free air space behind
& around oven, etc.)
greasy charcoal filter or grease filter
in hood vent exhaust
should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit
control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, and it is
very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating
our Web site, we have a video
available showing how to remove a typical
over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
Accessing some parts may
require you to pull the oven from the wall and remove the cover.
so, the installation instructions are very handy, and it's best to have
two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.
You can download GE
owner's manuals and installation instructions here.
You can find
helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full
model number here.
We'rehappy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your
thoughtful rating of our answer.
Door needs to be closed in cook mode to work. You sure you put the switch in the right way up? Also you could have a dodgy door switch as the cook/cool switch and the door switch operate as a two-way circuit.
Hi,Everything operates normally, but the oven shuts off after varying amounts of
time. This could be a faulty magnetron, bad cooling fan (or just built up dust
and grime block ventilation grilles), bad thermal protector, faulty controller,
some other intermittent component, or bad connections.
If resetting it allows cooking to resume immediately, if even for a few
seconds, I would not suspect the magnetron or thermal problem as no cool
down time is required. It could be bad connections in the controller or elsewhere, a marginal door interlock switch, or a controller problem.
Jiggle the door to see if this will cause it to shut off.
If the magnetron was overheating, you would not be able to resume cooking
until it cooled and the thermal protector reset. If it just stopped working
(i.e., the filament opened), everything would appear normal but there would
be no heating. If the magnetron were shorting, there would likely be a loud
hum associated with the periods where there was no heat.
If it is not possible to resume cooking for a few minutes indicating that
something needs time to cool off, then the magnetron could be faulty but
check for the obvious cooling problems first: blocked or dirty ventilation
grill. Determine if the magnetron cooling fan is operating by listening for
its sound or looking through the ventilation opening in the back of the oven.
If it is not, there could be a broken or weak belt, gummed up or lack of
lubrication, other mechanical problems, a bad motor, or bad connections.
Extremely high power line voltage may also result in overheating on a
poorly designed or oven where the components are marginal.
Make sure the stirrer fan is turning normally. Should it gets stuck,
some models may sense this and shut down/restart.
Is the background cooling fan running? Also, look under the oven and if possible take off the kick panel and clean all the rubbish out to ensure the cooling fan can circulate air round. As a check, when you turn any part of the oven on ( Main/top/grill) the cooling fan will run and you will feel a cool draft of air coming out of the gap just above the top of the main oven door. If the fan is not running, this will cause the unit to overheat and the overheat thermostats to kick in, turning the oven off.
If the fan is not running, you will have to take the whole unit out to gain access to the back panel.
Hi I am Vortash the cooling fan must be controlled by a thermostat , it appears that it has a problem on it and is not shutting off .
They are usually normally open contact switches that are on the top or the side of the oven ,they heat up close the connection and turn the fan on . yours sounds as if it is sticking . Other ovens are controlled by a rheostat a long tubed thermostat that goes to a main control consul on the oven , it controls the fan and responds to what the stat tells it .
It may be this controller is not turning the fan off afterwards , my suggestion is that unless you are electrically trained you get the help of a service engineer to check your oven out .... regards Vortash