Glass in microwave door shattered in middle of the night
Have GE Monogram SS microvave Model #ZMC 1095SF001. My tenant heard a noise in the night, didn't see anything, but in the AM went in kitchen to fins safety glass on the floor. Unit was not in use and the GE repairman said that he has replaced 2 or 3 of these doors in our building. Is this a design flaw, I have never had a problem of this nature with a microwave.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I just had the same problem with my ge spacemaker microwave model number JVM1490bd. I removed the grill on the top of the microwave with two screws on top. There is one screw that holds the front touch pad on, remove the screw and lift up to remove. The damper assembly is on the upper left, my door was sticking and didn't make the limit switch. I moved the door back and forth making the switch a couple times and that solved the problem.
Whatever you do don't use the microwave until you replace the door. You run the risk of possibly shattering the glass or being exposed to dangerous microwaves from the oven. Get on the Roper web site and find a replacement for the door. You never know there could be a recall for safety issues on your particular model.
There's a safty switch which prevents the unit from operating if the door isn't fully closed. When the glass shattered a small piece may have blocked the switch from operating properly. Check around the door seals for any irregularities.
This happened to us 3 weeks ago with our 3 year old Kitchenaid microwave. Several hours after its last use it just shattered. In doing research I discovered that this has also happend with GE microwaves, all 3 years old. The cause seems to have been a batch of defective glass supplied by a third party. Whirlpool was very quick to cover the cost of the replacement, even though our microwave was out of warrantee.
SAME PROBLEM FOR ME...I REMOVED THE BOTTOM COVER AND FOUND THAT ONE LIGHT WAS NOT FIXED AND WAS LOOSE AND WAS TOUCHING THE GLASS. THIS HEAT WAS WHAT BROKE THE GLASS COVER. CLOSED INSPECTION SHOWED THE LIGHT SOCKET WAS TOO LARGE FOR THE CLIPS AND WERE NOT SECURED WHEN PURCHASED. I GOT SMALL SCREW AND NUT, BENT CLIPS SO THE SOCKET HOLE MATCHED THE HOLE MADE BY THE CLIP AND SECURELY ATTACHED THE SOCKET. THIS WILL SECURE THE LIGHT AND KEEP IT FROM TOUCHING THE GLASS..........IF I CAN EVER FIND A GLASS REPLACEMENT....MAY JUST HAVE ONE CUT. NOW THE PROBLEM IS TO REPLACE THE LIGHT AND MICROWAVE FUSE WHICH WAS BLOWN WHEN THE GLASS BROKE.