I recently installed a LG DRN-8080B DVD Drive into a Dell C800, after all was said and done, it will play DVD's but not CD's (DATA or AUDIO). I have tried re-installing the firmware from LG, nothing, I have tried uninstalling in device manager, letting windows find it again, no luck. I am using WinDVD Platinum for playing DVD's (which it does fine).
Oddly when I look at my DVD burner on my desktop it shows
"DVD/CD-RW Drive (D)" but when I look at the laptop all it shows is "DVD Drive (D)" Wouldn't it show DVD/CD (D)Drive? Should I uninstall the IDE and let windows find it? I left laptop at work, or I would try that now. Any suggestions would be great...Thanks In Advance!
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: Please Insert disk?
I have a CD/DVD r/w drive and it only says NEC DVD +RW. That is just the text the manufacturer has embedded in the device, not the results of any diagnostics.
You've mentioned what program you are playing DVDs with but what are you playing your audio CDs with and are they commercial audio CDs?
Have you tried running a diagnostic on your drive? Here is a link to the Sony CD/DVD diagnostic tool. Its meant for Sony drives but I have used this successfully on other drives in the past. When prompted for a blank disk us a CD.
Let us know how it goes and don't forget to rate the posting.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
You need to have the proper drivers installed. Then you need to configure the "Properties" of your display. Click the settings tab and the advanced button, from there, you should be able to figure out how to set your TV up as a monitor (which is how the TV connections for most Dell machines work).
Did you set your jumpers correctly? How about using a different power Cable? Different Data Cable?
If all fails try diagnosing the problem.
DOWNLOAD HIREN BOOT CD, WRITE THE ISO TO CD THEN BOOT FROM IT
Includes HDD Diagnostics for these companies
Hard Disk Tools:
- Hard Disk Diagnostic Utilities
- Seagate Seatools Desktop Edition 3.02
- Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools
- Western Digital Diagnostics (DLGDIAG) 5.04f
- Maxtor PowerMax 4.23
- Maxtor amset utility 4.0
- Maxtor(or any Hdd) Low Level Formatter 1.1
- Fujitsu HDD Diagnostic Tool 6.61
- Fujitsu IDE Low Level Format 1.0
- Samsung HDD Utility(HUTIL) 2.02
- Samsung Disk Diagnose (SHDIAG) 1.28
- IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test 4.08
- IBM/Hitachi Feature Tool 2.03
- Gateway GwScan 3.15
- ExcelStor's ESTest 3.80
- MHDD 4.6
- WDClear 1.30
- Toshiba Hard Disk Diagnostic 2.00b
- SeaTools for Dos 1.08
- HDD Regenerator 1.51 - to recover a bad hard drive
- Ontrack Disk Manager 9.57 - Disk Test/Format/Maintenance tool.
- Norton Disk Doctor 2002 - a tool to repair a damaged disk, or to diagnose your hard drive.
- Norton Disk Editor 2002 - a powerful disk editing, manual data recovery tool.
- Active Kill Disk 3.1 - Securely overwrites and destroys all data on physical drive.
- HDAT2 4.5.2 - main function is testing and repair (regenerates) bad sectors for devices
- SmartUDM 2.00 - Hard Disk Drive S.M.A.R.T. Viewer.
- Victoria 3.33 - a freeware program for low-level HDD diagnostics
Hope this helps
There is no quick solution for this problem unless you consider buying a new internal drive quick solution. (They are pretty cheap now a days)
It really sounds like your DVD lens is no longer working, which would cause no problems with reading of your CD's.
Sorry for the bad news, but look on the bright side! You can upgrade to a lightscribe DVD burner!! :D:D (no more sharpies on the DVD/CD's you burn)