An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: micro wave not heating
The main purpose of a microwave oven is to generate microwaves to heat food in the compartment so if it doesn't do that, then chances are that a component has failed. The fact that everything else seems to work suggests that you at least have ac power getting to the controls. You more than likely have a bad magnetron tube , filament transformer or high voltage capacitor that failed as part of the microwave generating system and it is not something that the untrained person should attempt to fix. Even unplugged, the high voltage capacitor remains charged up sufficiently enough to cause serious injury to someone. I've always been an advocate of the good old saying that if the cost to repair exceeds the cost to replace...then simply replace it. Even if you get an appliance tech to examine it, chances are his fee and the components that he finds defective will more than offset a replacement appliance.. I wish I could have suggested a better alternative for you..
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
First, check to make sure that the door is closing and latching fully and that there is nothing jamming any of those mechanisms. There are safety devices that keep microwaves from turning on if they think the door is open/ajar.
If the door is fine and the rest of the functions (timer, etc.) are behaving, it's probably a busted magnetron. That's the part that actually emits the waves that do the heating. It's a part that can be replaced, but probably cheaper to get a new microwave.
Micro wave as the name suggests produces heat when the micro waves aimed at an object causes the water molecules inside the object to vibrate hence producing heat.The gadget responsible is the magnetron. If your magnetron is not receiving ht voltage or receiving but faulty, then your micro wave wont work please take precaution when opening micro wave due to high voltage caps that remain charged sometimes even when it is off.check the high voltage fuse/ diode and capacitor if they are fine and the step up trans former o.k then the only option is to replace the magnetron
How old is your m wave? Sounds like you need to replace it .You can get a new one from Wal mart for under 75.00.and that will get you the big 1 sq.ft one..I once broke the plate in my m/wave and believe it or not they wanted more for the new plate than I paid for the M/wave BEFORE you do that check your power level settings perhaps it was turned down
Q - The microwave display counts down and the inside light is on, but nothing is heating and the fan is not running. A - This most commonly is abad door switch, other possible problems are a faulty relay or solder joint on the power module, but a bad door switch is most common. Q - My microwave is running and sounds like it is working but will not heat up anything. A - Many thing can do this but, common things are....loose high voltage wire.....poor solder joint on board.....magnetron.....power relay..... Q - The microwave makes a loud "hum or buzz" noise but will not heat up the food? A - 9 times out of 10 this is usually this is a bad magnetron, the other time is sometimes a bad high voltage diode. See components section.
In the case of microwave ovens, the commonly used radio wave frequency is roughly 2,500 megahertz (2.5 gigahertz). Radio waves in this frequency range have an interesting property: they are absorbed by water, fats and sugars. When they are absorbed they are converted directly into atomic motion -- heat
So, NO Micro waves NO heat......... Need to check for Microwave emitter device installed inside.
This just happened to ours as well. Apparently the magnetron (device that creates radio waves that heat the food) is broken. I'm trying to pry the darn thing out of our kitchen now so I can replace the magnetron. Look for this part WB27X10489 on Google. I found it on ebay for $65. If it fixes the problem I'll post again.