Question about Kenmore 62622 Microwave Oven

Open Question

Burning chemical smell coming from microwave when in use

Does using chef boyardee microwavable cups cause problems with microwave?

how can i fix this problem

Posted by on

  • 1 more comment 
  • michelleanam Nov 26, 2008

    when microwave is on, there is a burning (maybe electrical) smell and smoke that comes out of the upper left side vent.

  • William Miller
    William Miller May 11, 2010

    Is it as lot of smoke?

    Does it do it when microwaving when you have the hood vent exhaust fan off?

  • William Miller
    William Miller May 11, 2010

    Since they are labeled as microwavable, they should be microwave safe as long as you're following the directions.

    What exact problem are you experiencing?

×

5 Suggested Answers

bobotfel
  • 236 Answers

SOURCE: Burning smell from Microwave

If you clean any appliances always plug out the unit power supply do spray any liquid in the unit that can enter inside the control, instead just wipe it with rug not spray. In this situation you have to call for a qualified technician. Maybe there are some wires that burned or rust in the control that cause the short circuit inside the unit..

Posted on Dec 30, 2007

MicrowaveSvc
  • 8862 Answers

SOURCE: Burning smell from microwave

This is the waveguide cover / stirrer cover.

Quite often this is due to grease or food particles stuck to the inside of the oven or stuck on or behind the waveguide cover.

It can be fragile, and the metal edges of the oven behind it can be sharp, so be careful!

The cover and the metal behind it should be cleaned with a mild, non-ammonia cleaner.

If the cavity metal of the oven is chipped or charred, it will have to be sanded smooth and clean and dried thoroughly.

Then you can apply some high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Builder's Square.

If your waveguide cover is burned, it will need to be replaced. It provides important protection for the magnetron.

Please reply back with your brand and model number so we can help you in obtaining parts.

Otherwise, you can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

We're happy to help you and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Jul 21, 2008

rickzilla
  • 706 Answers

SOURCE: burning wire smell

Hello jvtmad1,
All of the previous comments are relatively good ideas but let me offer some additional advice,
First off, You need to determine if the burning smell is coming from the Microwave itself or from the receptacle that provides power to it. Most wall receptacles are rated for 15 amps and should easily handle your microwave ovens power requirements. A simple check might be to run a hair dryer on the same receptacle without the microwave plugged into it. They draw comparable power so that should eliminate the recptacle as the culpret, On the assumption that the burnt wire smell is coming from the microwave itself, then your best bet is to return it to the store for a repair or replacement. Unless you are properly trained on how to sservice that, you probably shouldn't attempt it. As stated in previous comments, it should still be under warranty. If you have a bad filament transformer, magnetron or the wiring between them, that is not something you want to fiddle with yourself.
In summary, eliminate the receptacle on the wall as being the problem first.
If you find tha your receptacle is the problem, then you may be able to remove or disable power to it by switching off teh appropriate circuit breaker or fuse.. then take off the face plate and check the integrity of the wires going to that receptacle and making sure they are tightly secured to the terminals of the receptacle. I would assume that if that were the problem, you would notice a burnt smell as soon as you took off the face plate. Hope some of thes ideas help you resolve your problem...
Regards,
Rick

Posted on Nov 22, 2008

  • 13 Answers

SOURCE: ge microwave oven wall smelling wire burn!!!!

time to put it to rest

Posted on Jan 02, 2009

  • 1 Answer

SOURCE: Microwave waveguide spatter shield burned through

THE PART IS CALLED A WAVEGUIDE COVER AVAILBALE FROM REPAIRCLINIC.COM

Posted on Mar 02, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

We have a GE profile microwave with inverter tech that will come on for about 5 seconds then shut off. Unplug it and plug it back in it does the same thing. It lets off a terrible smell almost like a...


Remove vent grille, then remove control panel. Check wire to cavity thermostat. Sometime wire bundle and small space causes poor terminal connections on this thermostat and will burn wire terminal. Cut off bad part of the wire, install a small terminal end, reconnect to thermostat. If thermostat is destroyed, also replace thermostat.

Aug 13, 2014 | GE Profile Spacemaker 1.8 Cu. Ft....

1 Answer

Loud boom and burning smell in microwave


Is there any holes burnt into the liner inside the micro wave.? Or burn spots showing.? If there is thow it out. It is not safe to be useing it.It could start on fire. That problem is from when they are not clean out once in a while. End food is burn,t onto the interior liner end grease end oil,

Oct 22, 2012 | Sharp KB6001NS 24 Inch Microwave Drawer...

1 Answer

When I start the microwave, it has a funny smell


Sounds like you burned out the magnetron, if so you should discontinue use immediately. This is the bit that emits the microwaves and they will fail with a burnt faintly oily smell to an acrid chemical smell. Magneton replacement should not be attempted by the amateur fix-it man, Find a reputable appliance repair shop or chuck it in!

May 12, 2010 | GE JEM31 Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Magic Chef MCO 153 UQ heats but doesnt' turn


You can still use it, but must be aware that this is a relatively high power microwave, so food will burn if it isn't turned.

Jul 28, 2009 | Magic Chef Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Burning smell and won't heat.


If it buzzes real loud it's probably the high volyage diode. However some times if it smells it's the transformer. Usually the diode is a cheap fix ~$10.00 but this model the diode is $50. It's number 50 on the link below. Let me know how it works out or you need anything else.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=JVM1440BH01&productCategoryId=0123370&brandId=0432&modelName=MICROWAVE&diagramPageId=00001&documentId=G0312014&pop=flush

Apr 19, 2009 | GE JVM1440 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave waveguide spatter shield burned through


THE PART IS CALLED A WAVEGUIDE COVER AVAILBALE FROM REPAIRCLINIC.COM

Jan 20, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Is the microwave possibly dangerous after it popped & now smells


Hello jeffnlaur,
The sound you heard could be any number of things but I would attempt to verify the basic preformance of the microwave was ok by placing a cup of water in the cooking compartment and switching the micro on for about 2 minutes.. The water should be close to or at a boil after this time ( depending on glass type and power output of oven). Listen for any other irregular sounds while it is running. You may have heard something in the soup pop or some of the electronics within the micro arc but it may not mean it is dangerous. Try the water test first and if it continues to exibit internal noises and burning a burning smell, I would discrad the oven. Table top models are very inexpensive and the cost to diagnose and repair would probably exceed the cost to replace,
In terms of dangerous, there are safety devices to cut off power to the magnetron and other components if warranted. Not sure that helps you but with limited info from your side, diagnostics are 'iffy' at best..
Regards
Rick

Jan 09, 2009 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Burning smell from Microwave


If you clean any appliances always plug out the unit power supply do spray any liquid in the unit that can enter inside the control, instead just wipe it with rug not spray. In this situation you have to call for a qualified technician. Maybe there are some wires that burned or rust in the control that cause the short circuit inside the unit..

Dec 27, 2007 | Whirlpool MH7135XE Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Melted carousel in microwave / bad smell


For the smell, do a Google search for "smell microwave" or "odor microwave" for many great tips.

If you need a new turntable support, you can order Sharp parts from Tritronics at http://www.wehaveparts.com

It's part # FROLPB017MRK0

Nov 03, 2007 | Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
Kenmore 62622 Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

401 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Kenmore Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8858 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Jim Thurston

Level 3 Expert

669 Answers

Are you a Kenmore Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...