Question about Whirlpool MH1150XMQ Microwave Oven
I was trying to replace the two lightbulbs under the microwave. One of the light bulbs broke off in the socket. I replaced the other one, and then pressed the button on the microwave to turn on the lights to see if the one I replaced worked. When I did that, sparks blew out of the socket where the broken piece of light bulb was, and it tripped the circuit in my kitchen, plunging everything into darkness. I went to my fuse box, found the tripped breaker, and everything came back on, except the microwave. Is there a fuse or a breaker inside the microwave that I may have inadvertently blown up that I can replace myself, or have I destroyed my microwave. It seems strange that a light bulb can do such damage, but you never know.
We see (and repair) this a lot. The problem is on the control panel, which
we regularly repair nationwide by mail for $39.95 postpaid in about a week.
At our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
There should also be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.
Once you remove the control panel assembly, the fuse is located in a holder behind that area toward the top. The tech sheet shows part locations.
But you'll almost certainly need to have the control board repaired.
This light failure often occurs when a bulb goes out and the filament shorts, or when the bulbs are removed or installed without first unplugging the oven from the power line. Either can cause such a failure on the controller.
This can often also affect the exhaust fan operation, too. The lights and fan can be inoperable or stuck on too.
Details of our service and critical safety information and disassembly information is at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa.
Feel free to contact me directly (and please remind me of your full model number) for more information & help.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
William E. Miller
Posted on Nov 24, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 09, 2015 | In Microwave Ovens
Jul 23, 2008 | Amana Microwave Ovens
Mar 15, 2014 | Microwave Ovens
Hello - This may or may not be specifically for your model, however these are generics instructions that I found.
To replace the light bulb to the over the range microwave you will need to follow the steps below:
1. To replace light bulb, first disconnect power to the microwave oven at the circuit breaker panel or by unplugging.
2. Remove the vent grill mounting screws.
3. Pull the vent grill away from the unit.
4. Remove the charcoal filter by pushing it inwards, then turn and pull it away from the unit.
5. Open light cover located behind filter mounting by carefully pulling up on the front edge.
6. Remove old light bulb and replace only with equivalent 30 watt bulb available from part distributor. Bulbs are also available at most hardware stores or lighting centers.
7. Replacing the microwave oven light cover by carefully pushing into place. Replace the charcoal filter. Push the vent grill back into place (engaging both the bottom and top tabs) and replace the vent grill mounting screws.
Note: DO NOT USE BULB LARGER THAN 30 WATTS.
Oct 27, 2012 | Frigidaire FMV152K Microwave Oven
Aug 06, 2011 | Hotpoint RVM1435 Microwave Oven
May 16, 2011 | Kenmore 80809 Microwave Oven
Jan 09, 2009 | GE JVM1650 1000 Watts Microwave Oven
Sep 03, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Oct 04, 2007 | GE JVM1640 Microwave Oven
379 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: