Question about Kenmore 80882 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Blown fuse Hi.. I have a Kenmore 89942 over the stove (hood type) microwave oven. It's approx. 10 years old. Today it just shut off. Upon taking it apart, I found the main fuse on the hot leg of the incoming power was blown. Should I try to replace it, or is there generally something more serious causing it to blow? Is there any danger in replacing it to see if it blows again? Thanks, Ed

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Kenmore Master
  • 8,795 Answers
Re: Blown fuse

Be doubly sure your microwave is unplugged first, of course! Be sure the fuse is not loose in the holder. If you can rotate it in the holder easily with just a thumb and finger, then it's too loose and the holder should also be replaced. That looseness causes a heat buildup, which makes the fuse melt open inside over time. If the new fuse blows as soon as you hit START then you likely have a shorted high-voltage capacitor. If it blows again a few seconds or minutes after you hit START, then you likely have a bad high-voltage transformer or magnetron. It's not inherently unsafe to replace a fuse, as long as you heed the safety rules. The microwave does contain and prodcue voltages that can be instantly lethal. Feel free to see my safety info via my listing here on FixYa:

Posted on Dec 29, 2006

Add Your Answer

0 characters

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add


3 Points

Related Questions:

1 Answer

I was heating my tea and I heard a loud pop and the unit turned off...I thought I had blown a fuse and went out and checked fuse box..flipped all fuses and microwave still not turning on at all...micorwave...

The description you provide indicates the magnetron has failed, "heats food" and blown the main fuse in the microwave oven, since the unit is 10 years old it is much cheaper to replace with a new one rather than have it repaired.

May 15, 2011 | Amana Radarange Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Where is the fuse in my Kenmore Over the stove Microwave oven

The fuse is located under the keypad in towards the high voltage capacitor "silver rectangular in shape" before you take it apart "unplug and discharge capacitor" there are dangerous high voltages present, the fuse is a ceramic type and must be replaced with the identical size and rating. Now if the fuse blows again it is more than likely one of the door switches is defective.

Feb 09, 2011 | Kenmore 62702 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Kenmore Spacemaker Fuse Blown

its either a 10-15-or20 ceramic fuse and its marked on the side of the fuse or take it to the hardware store they have this type of special fuse.and they can locate the rating for you

Oct 04, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Lost heat on microwave ,everything else works fine simple fix?

Inexpensive fix yes, but quite dangerous as you have to either replace the High voltage Diode or the magnetron depending on what has gone. Most often it is the Diode as that is fed a few thousand volts and anomolies such as a surge in current cause it to blow(popping sound) You can also check the fuses and if lucky it is just a fuse, but a fuse very seldomly just blows as it points to an underlying fault such as magnetron , capacitor or Diode. Have a service man attend to it unless you know what you are doing as you are dealing with lethal voltages and current even after the microwave has been switched off.

Aug 01, 2009 | Kenmore Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Microwave shut off

try to checked the fuse if its blown.and replace a new one,check also the power cord.

Jul 05, 2009 | General Electric Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Dead microwave!

Hi Kevin

If your microwave oven doesn't seem to work at all, check these:
Fuses Usually, when your microwave oven doesn't work it all, the internal fuse (thermal fuse) is blown. This fuse protects both you and the oven. When it blows, you need to have a qualified appliance repair technician replace it.

Door switch If the fuse isn't the problem, check the door hooks and the door-release button. When these are broken, the door switch doesn't activate, so the oven can't work.

If still you are unable to diagnose the issue then it is recommended to call a local repair center for this to get fixed as Microwave usually have high voltage even when it is turned off.

Please do rate the solution as FixYa and revert for further assistance.


Apr 24, 2009 | Kenmore 63672 Convection/Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Kenmore 89942 Microwave no longer heating food

Grass...I'd go for checking the fuses and the thermosensor...a black plastic button with two wires coming out of it that is about the diameter of a dime and 3/8 inch thick. If either is open, no power to the magnetron. Your unit may have a diagram inside. Have a look. The magnetron...? I doubt it.

Dec 16, 2007 | Kenmore 80882 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave humming

It's possible that it is a sign or trouble, but it will make seemingly odd noises when it is switched on and off. For the most part, you can wait until you see more definitive evidence of trouble. Watchful waiting is probably in order here for the next week or so.

Jan 07, 2007 | Kenmore 80882 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Kenmore 80882 Microwave Oven Logo

173 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Kenmore Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8793 Answers


Level 3 Expert

6993 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Are you a Kenmore Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides