- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I doubt that's an electrical breaker - because it wouldn't take 10 minutes to flip, it would happen almost immediately.
It must be the heat breaker. There are two reasons your vacuum system could be overheating and tripping that breaker. Either you need to replace the filter - if it's partially clogged then the motor may have to work too hard to get suction and cause it to overheat. I'd suggest checking the filter first, because that's the easy fix.
If it's not the filter, then your motor is going out. You'll want to replace that.
Check the filter, and let me know. I'll see if I can find a place to order a new motor for it.
Mine did the same thing - unfortunately, that means it's dirty. When they recommend a good cleaning of the filters every 3 mths - they mean it. The filters may not look dirty, but if you skip cleaning them (like I did) - those tiny little particles build up & then clog the filter. The bottom filter is not cheap - you can pick it up online for about $55, considering the alternative (running the Dyson w/o the bottom filter - and yes it will run without it) which may result in damaging that very expensive motor - go buy a new filter. It's cheaper than buying a new Dyson or replacing a burned up motor.
The motor is overheating and control features cause it to shut off to prevent burning it out. First check the bag. If it is full, remove and replace with a new one. A full bag can cause the motor to work harder, and thereby overheat. Next check the filters. A dusty filter will keep air from cooling the motor and again cause overheating. The HEPA filter needs to be checked also. Most filters can be dusted off. Some can be washed, air-dried, and replaced.Others will need to be removed and replaced. Your owner's manual should tell you how to clean filters. I hope this helps. If it solves your problem, please let Fixya know and post a rating for my solution.
Sounds like the motor is overheating and cutting out. The motor has a protection device that automatically resets when the motor cools down. The most common cause of overeating is blocked or dirty filters. Don't be fooled by Dyson's "lifetime filters". They need to be cleaned and/or replaced regularly. If after cleaning/renewing filters it still does it, you need a new motor as the trip device is not available separately. New motors can be found on eBay quite cheaply but it requires some special tools and good DIY skills to do it. Have a look at www.dysonmedic.com to see if you you think you can do it, but if not it's time to call a repair shop or the Dyson helpline.
It's not necessarily overheating, but the thermal-fuse is definitely tripping and it takes 30 minutes to reset. There are several causes of this (in most common order):
1. A blockage in the suction system or a full dust tank
2. Dirty filters (Don't forget to check the air outflow filter at the back)
3. A worn belt
4. A faulty thermal fuse.
5. A faulty motor
As you've stated that the dust tank is empty and the filters are clean (don't forget to check the HEPA / air outflow filter at the rear), let's look at the other options.
Check the suction is good by putting your hand over the end of the hose and seeing if it will stay attached to you hand upside down.
Next, check the belt isn't slipping. Lie the hoover on it's side and check the rollers are turning constantly and at high speed. This isn't foolproof as it doesn't account for the extra friction of the brushes on the carpet, but it's a reasonable test. A worn belt wont necessarily be cracked. It can stretch and slip without cracking. Also, when a belt is slipping, you can usually smell burning rubber.
If the hoover runs ok for 15 minutes and there is no burning smell from the motor, then it's more likely a faulty thermal fuse than the motor itself. They are replaceable but unfortunately, thermal fuses aren't always sold separately and sometimes you have to buy a new motor (!!) to get a new fuse. Hoover are one of the best manufacturers when it comes to buying spares, so you might be in luck.
I've removed faulty thermal fuses from vacuums because a spare wasn't available without buying a motor. However, I have always done this with the owners full consent after explaining to them that a safety feature has been removed and they should avoid using the vacuum for prolonged periods without letting it cool. I also test the rest of the vacuum fully before returning it.
If you want to try removing yours, it will be attached to the motor with simple spade connections, but you do this AT YOUR OWN RISK. The danger in doing this is that the motor will burn out if it gets too hot, rather than being switched off by the fuse.
Sounds like the motor is overheating and cutting out. The motor has a protection device that automatically resets when the motor cools down.
The most common cause of overeating is blocked or dirty filters. Don't be fooled by Dyson's "lifetime filters". They need to be cleaned and/or replaced regularly.
If after cleaning/renewing filters it still does it, you need a new motor as the trip device is not available separately. New motors can be found on eBay quite cheaply but it requires some special tools and good DIY skills to do it. Have a look at www.dysonmedic.com to see if you you think you can do it.
The electric motor inside your Dyson has a built in over-current trip to protect itself (and you if it seriously overheated and caught fire). This normally automatically resets itself, however if the motor has just about had it, next time it is switched on it just trips again.
The primary cause of motors overheating is that the filters are not cleaned or replaced frequently enough. Dont be fooled by Dyson's "lifetime filters". They need to be regularly cleaned and replaced when necessary.
Replacement motors are available on eBay for about £25, however replacing one requires good DIY skills and tools.
Have a look at www.dysonmedic.com and see if you feel you can tackle it yourself. If not, take it to a repair shop or call the Dyson helpline.
There's a thermal cut-off when the unit has overheated. Mine does this quite often and I remedy it by emptying the canister and making sure the filter is clean, especially of lint and things that prevent good air flow.
You should check the disc filter that is located under the paper cone support. The support is secured with a single screw in the middle at the bottom. This filter is commonly overlooked and when it gets dirty will restrict airflow and cause the motor to overheat. Most motors have a Hi-Limit switch incorporated into the motor to protect against overheating. You should also check the top filter (which is probably foam) and replace if it is clogged.