Question about GE JVM1651 Microwave Oven

2 Answers

GE Spacesaver JVM 1651 Not heating, making burning smell

Everything is working, the fan, lights, clock, etc. The microwave appears like it is working but it is not heating and making a burning smell. It also has a higher pitch sound. Any ideas on how to fix. It is 9 years old.

Posted by on

  • 1 more comment 
  • Regina Jayubo Nov 22, 2008

    The microwave is spotless

  • Anonymous Dec 02, 2008

    I have same exact problem. It just started today. Anybody know what to do about this one?

  • Pavelow Feb 12, 2009

    The Magnetron tube is included in the "Limited Additional Nine-Year Warranty" that comes with this GE Model. I suspect the same problem on mine and called the 1-800-GE-CARES line and scheduled a service repair visit. The diagnostic will cost $70 and I will have to pay labor. Hopefully I'm right about the cause being the Magnetron tube. I'll soon find out.

×

2 Answers

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

I had the exact same problem on my GE JVM1651. I called an appliance service professional and he diagnosed the issue with the Magnetron tube (the unit that actually produces the microwave). The only solution is to replace the magnetron. I'm not qualified to provide steps on how to replace the part - the service guy's taking care of this for me. I'm still waiting on him to source the part and complete the repair.

Hope this helps!!

Posted on Dec 08, 2008

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

    Corporal:

    An expert that hasĀ over 10 points.

    Problem Solver:

    An expert who has answered 5 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 7 Answers

Fisrt, check to be sure your missing cat it not inside the unit. IF the interior is dirty (splatters, grease, etc.) , it may inhibit the unit from working properly.

:-)

Posted on Nov 22, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Have ge profile spacesaver xl sensor. will not heat strange buzzing sound and burning smell. clock, light, vent still work


This is most likely a defective magnetron, especially with the burning smell. There are two other parts that can be a problem, the high voltage capacitor and diode, all three work together to heat food. If the magnetron is the culprit, probably cheaper to replace the microwave oven.

Mar 02, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE spacesaver xl1800 microwave. Unit comes on, but no heating


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips

heatman101

agf

Jun 06, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Microwave won't heat food


chances are u have a bad transformer,scrap it

Mar 03, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

No heating, turntable does not turn, but clock & lights work.


Check to make sure the plastic on the shelve holders or tuntable guide did not wear and expose metal. If these holders or brackets are wore and exposed metal it shorted out your micro wave. They need to be replaced and a fuse needs to be replaced inside the control panel,

Sep 17, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

JVM 1660WB 003 GE Profile Microwave humming sound/burning smell


the magnetron the unit has gone bad.sometimes there is burning smell as u mentioned.it is little expensive repair arond $ 150.00.find out the price of new unit plus iistallation/delivery chg and then make a decision.

Aug 17, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Ge Spacemaker XL Microwave Oven JVM 1650/1651


the microwave is running even though your not pressing any buttons? it would be a control board problem,. could be main relay contacts welded together.

Feb 19, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Burning odor, no heat


A burning smell along with a different sound (growl) USUALLY indicates a breakdown in the High Voltage Side. This is not a direct short (short circuit) or the line fuse would have blown shutting everything down. The High Voltage Side is made up of-- The Secondary ,or High Voltage Side of The High Voltage Transformer, A High Voltage Diode, A High Voltage Capacitor, and The Magnetron. If The High Voltage Transformer is the problem it will smell like a florescent light ballast burning, and will smell each time you turn on the MW. A HV Diode burns and opens, thus no more smell. A HV Capacitor usually does not burn nor does the Magnetron. There is no Cheap-Fix unless you can see that the HV Diode is burned into and you can get to it to replace. CAUTION: Always unplug from power before attempting to repair. NOTE: If you replace a Diode make sure it goes back in the same direction it came out. Yes there is a front and back.

Jan 26, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE PRofile Spacemaker XL Microwave Oven Model# JVM1460 950 watts


Sounds like the problem is in the high voltage. Most common would be magnatron, capacitor and diode. For safety reasons this should be checked by a professional. Look in your owners manual because some high voltage parts have a longer warranty than 1 yr.

Oct 09, 2007 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE JVM1651 Microwave Oven Logo

454 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...